+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    When I played "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts', Mrs. P certainly wasn't impressed.
    I have that one - and have to say I wasn't too impressed either. But maybe I should give it another spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Perhaps the best way to rid yourself of overstayers would be the direct approach - changing into your jammies, then switching off the lights and going to bed should do the trick.
    Well I don't wear 'jammies', so that would do the trick.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have that one - and have to say I wasn't too impressed either. But maybe I should give it another spin.

Well I don't wear 'jammies', so that would do the trick.
    Playing a dangerous game there Barry - they may see the naked "I'm off to bed" as a come on Need to know your audience first.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I've just been reinventing the wheel or so it seems by rediscovering the first two Roxy CD's. I have the entire catalogue on CD re-issue but seriously only find the first two worth any merit. The set I have all have cardboard sleeves like LP replicas and a disc over print that looks like a vinyl record. Oh yeah, they are HDCD also but of course I have no HDCD compatibility.

I still find For Your Pleasure their greatest musical legacy though and cannot bring myself to listen to the later 'Ferry almost solo' works. Another great band that slid into dire mediocrity in the 80's.

Also love some of the covers of In Every Dream Home A Heartache that have been done over the years.

Hmm... after an extended listen maybe Siren is quite good also

Siren is where I jumped ship with Roxy Music. I bought Flesh and Blood some time after it was released, but only listened to it a couple of times. For some reason, I always think of Bryan Ferry as the Prince Charles of rock.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Siren is where I jumped ship with Roxy Music. I bought Flesh and Blood some time after it was released, but only listened to it a couple of times. For some reason, I always think of Bryan Ferry as the Prince Charles of rock.
    LOL that is such a funny comment to those of us who were there. It was so sad to see bands such as Roxy Music, Genesis, Status Quo and quite a few others turn into 80's drivel, quite an embarrassment ! Regarding Roxy, I guess that Siren is indeed a good album with some still classic drumming by Paul Thompson before he got pissed off and quit. There are so many good tracks on that album but like Joe, I cannot go further than that and would rather take my chances with a Max Bygraves album.

I'm Shaun.

Regarding Phaedra, I love it because I think it was their first album with sequencers. Gotta love analogue sequencing.

I'm Jim.

Phaedra is good stuff.

I also really like the b side of Roxy's Love Is The Drug single, a track called Sultanesque. Give it a listen if you've never heard it. In fact I'm going to get dig it out now and give it a spin

I'm Josie.

For your pleasure is my favorite roxy album... It's got some seriously good tracks.

I got to know this album in the early 90s.

Simply brilliant.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Martin.

I never really got into them and I tend to think they are overrated. I dont warm to Ferry (hes a raving Tory for a start) and thats important when considering a band. Avalon and that later stuff is just soppy drivel in my opinion. I picked up the greatest hits and had to get rid of it because of all the soppy drivel. It was only a quid on vinyl and it didnt change my opinion

The better tracks didnt save it...I wasnt having that in my collection. Eno was the driving force was he not. I just think there is better music out there. Its one of those bands where I dont even want to give them a chance now.

I'm Josie.

I can agree on part of that. Eno did make them. Their first album and for your pleasure were the best IMO.

I never got in to ferry's white suit indulgence and romanticism. I always thought it was a bit naff... A bit too theatrical and cheesy sophistication. It seemed like it was for the city bankers to quaff glasses of pink champagne too in their chrome and black Ash River side flats. Lol

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think Ferry's 'These Foolish Things' is an excellent LP.

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast