+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Roxy Music

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    This whole under-or over-rated thing is daft. There's no objective scale of good, better, best for music or any other creative art form, only a critical consensus, which will almost certainly change over time. If something stands the test of time, it's probably amongst the best (eg Mozart, Bach and Beethoven in music, Shakespeare in literature, Rembrandt in painting), but that still doesn't mean that everyone will, or should like it.
    Excellent post Joe. We all have different tastes, and the world is a better, more interesting place for it.

Roxy Music, like most other rock bands, became more polished, sophisticated and smoother as their career progressed; loosing the 'edge' and what made them exciting and novel in the first place. It happened to others: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors - even to groups such as T-Rex, The Stranglers, and dare I say it, to Genesis and to Pink Floyd.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I stand by my opinion of them. I dip in for a few tracks but as an overall body of work I do think they are overrated.

I think we have bands like that...we may dip in for a few tracks but if you were to ask me to sum up everything I would just think a bit meh. Hard Rain was a reasonable cover but Dylan has done all the work there

Avalon... Dance away...oh yeah just make me cringe really so I absolutely did not like the way they were going. I dont really understand how people like that cheesy pop. I skipped through that BBC programme the other night and Ferry just comes over as a smarmy crooner.

So I do feel right in my opinion...some promise in the early days, some moments but nah...way overrated
    I have to agree with you Martin. I watched the show up until it became a cringe. Roxy Music these days would be seen as absolutely ridiculous but at the time they were ground breaking a bit like the Human League I guess ten years or so later. Also, out of nine (?) albums they had one outstanding product. I'd call that overrated.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I kind of feel the best thing about Roxy is the album covers, particularly, For Your Pleasure.

I have most of their music on CD and some on vinyl and I just don't get them. Someday I might, like one day I did get the doors, but I am rapidly running out of time to make that break through, maybe on my death bed I will suddenly rate them. Till then they are a band with some great album cover art, but music wise over rated.

Sounds like you may be better off selling your Roxy vinyl and buying something else instead. I'm after a minty copy of their first album, and 'Siren' to complete my collection. Call me
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Sounds like you may be better off selling your Roxy vinyl and buying something else instead. I'm after a minty copy of their first album, and 'Siren' to complete my collection. Call me
    One is a reissue Capital Limited Edition, For Your Pleasure, and an original Avalon. Though I had more, I don't.
    Regards Neil

I'm Shaun.

I have an anniversary edition of 'For Your Pleasure' for sale on vinyl that has only been played maybe four times.

I'm Steve.

My copy is an early one on Island Records, and in spite of my best efforts is still pretty good nick.

But I am still short of 'Siren' and their first, which I only have on CD. Oh and there's another one, which someone was playing at Cranage last year. Seemed to be an album of Roxy remixes (don't know who by) and I quite liked it. Should have made a note. Anyone any idea what it might be?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Re Roxy Music being overrated; are they rated that highly except by their fans? I'd wager they're not generally thought of as being as famous as The Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, ELO, Black Sabbath, ELP, Dire Straits etc. Roxy Music had a few hit singles and Brian Ferry became a bit of a sex object so there are some who recall this but rated highly in general? Maybe they are high up on a list somewhere that I've not seen but most people wouldn't put them in a list of leading groups. I have much of their music and particularly appreciate their early music.
    Clive this is not aimed at you but whole host of posts, basically saying Roxy Music were overrated or no good after their first two albums, and were not a particularly big or important band.

Well I think the facts speak for themselves just look at what they achieved in charts https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14677/roxy-music/ singles and albums and this is only in the uk.

I’m sorry but whether you like them or not, millions of others did and still do, which speaks for itself.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Who cares about ratings anyway? I like what I like, and balls to what "the masses" think.

I'm guessing many members on here are around my age (61) and grew up listening to Roxy's early stuff, loving their innovative quirky style. Some of us will have stayed fans over the following years of "refining" their sound, becoming more radio-friendly, and some will have moved on to other music. I don't believe that their earlier music was necessarily better than what followed, just different.

I have said before though, that even though "For Your Pleasure" is my favourite Roxy album, it's "Avalon" which I play most at the moment.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Clive this is not aimed at you but whole host of posts, basically saying Roxy Music were overrated or no good after their first two albums, and were not a particularly big or important band.

Well I think the facts speak for themselves just look at what they achieved in charts https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14677/roxy-music/ singles and albums and this is only in the uk.

I’m sorry but whether you like them or not, millions of others did and still do, which speaks for itself.
    That's interesting. One No 1 single and four No 1 albums. Album buyers from that era I've always thought more discerning than singles buyers. Like them or not (I do), we can't dispute they were successful, given that they were they deserved it.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456