+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

I'm Shaun.

Default Roxy Music

I've just been reinventing the wheel or so it seems by rediscovering the first two Roxy CD's. I have the entire catalogue on CD re-issue but seriously only find the first two worth any merit. The set I have all have cardboard sleeves like LP replicas and a disc over print that looks like a vinyl record. Oh yeah, they are HDCD also but of course I have no HDCD compatibility.

I still find For Your Pleasure their greatest musical legacy though and cannot bring myself to listen to the later 'Ferry almost solo' works. Another great band that slid into dire mediocrity in the 80's.

Also love some of the covers of In Every Dream Home A Heartache that have been done over the years.

Hmm... after an extended listen maybe Siren is quite good also

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have them all and like them all, though I have special affection towards 'Flesh and Blood'.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

I don't know what it is about their 80's work that I dislike so much but even Paul Thompson the drummer gave up and left at that point. I think his best work with them was quite possibly Love Is The Drug.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I've just been reinventing the wheel or so it seems by rediscovering the first two Roxy CD's. I have the entire catalogue on CD re-issue but seriously only find the first two worth any merit. The set I have all have cardboard sleeves like LP replicas and a disc over print that looks like a vinyl record. Oh yeah, they are HDCD also but of course I have no HDCD compatibility.

I still find For Your Pleasure their greatest musical legacy though and cannot bring myself to listen to the later 'Ferry almost solo' works. Another great band that slid into dire mediocrity in the 80's.

Also love some of the covers of In Every Dream Home A Heartache that have been done over the years.

Hmm... after an extended listen maybe Siren is quite good also

If you struggle with their later stuff and like the earlier, then I would investigate Phil Manzaneera and 801 albums, 801 Live is a classsic IMO, most of them the band is incarnations of Roxy (without Ferry).
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Grant.

ive got a couple of bryan ferry's solo jazz albums. they are very good. he is very talented
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

I love the early stuff. As for In Every Dream Home A Heartache.....the words are fairly unique, there's aren't too many songs about blow-up dolls!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Shaun.

Back in 1973 I was really disappointed that Eno was kicked out of the band for upstaging Ferry (if you believe the media of the time) as I thought he was a large part of what Roxy were back then. His effects on 'Dream Home' were stunning for that time although of course the song helped no end. I remember an interview in NME back in '73 with Brian Eno that didn't paint a very good picture of Bryan Ferry. It said that at that time, Roxy almost stopped as a band due to Ferry's actions. I was happy though with the release of the film 'Velvet Goldmine' as it featured a lot of Eno's and Roxy's music from those early years. It also marked a new friendship between Ferry and Eno after so many years.

I'm Steve.

If I was dumped on a desert island and I could only take one Roxy album, it would have to be "For Your Pleasure" I feel this was their pinnacle, and is up there with Hunky Dory and Electric Ladyland as my all time favourites. So I guess it makes no sense that these days "Avalon" is my most played Roxy effort.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    If I was dumped on a desert island and I could only take one Roxy album, it would have to be "For Your Pleasure" I feel this was their pinnacle, and is up there with Hunky Dory and Electric Ladyland as my all time favourites. So I guess it makes no sense that these days "Avalon" is my most played Roxy effort.
    Oh so very true Steve. I just cannot listen to that 80's male Sade muzak. For Your Pleasure captures them at their most energetic and watching the videos on YouTube just reinforces that.

I'm Steve.

Oh so very true Steve. I just cannot listen to that 80's male Sade muzak. For Your Pleasure captures them at their most energetic and watching the videos on YouTube just reinforces that.
    Shaun, from reading posts from the past few months I'd say we share pretty similar music tastes! Although I have to say that my Audion 300b/Zu speakers combination does a decent job of Deadmau5 (to my ears anyway), and "One Trick Pony" (4x4=12) is great for 'persuading' unwanted guests to leave early
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast