+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to put your hifi

I'm Mike.

Default Where to put your hifi

Does it make a blind bit of difference where you site your hifi? Which components benefit from proper siting? i.e. cdps, phono stages. The obvious one is a TT, I have that wall mounted. Then I have an old 2 shelf Target stand a customer gave me, on this I put my cdp and streamer. Then I have a long Ikea Kallax shelf, of the the bottom row is taken up with my records, then on one end of the to is my Quad 306, phono stage and passive. Am I likely to hear any benefit from changing any of this?

That's the TT shelf, probably not the best out there...…
    IMG_20181016_163755580 by Mike Van, on Flickr
    IMG_20181016_163751351 by Mike Van, on Flickr

My set up now is roughly the same, only with Quad/passive/phono stage on Ikea shelf where streamer is, and cdp and streamer now on black Target 2 tier shelf.

IMG_20180312_212246348 by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Paul.

If your discounting speakers for their obvious and sometimes massive differences in placement, anything with moving parts benefits from from a solid base. For instance, the less error correction a cdp has to perform the better it sounds.

Only other consideration I can think of is heat and allowing components that get hot the room to dissapate that heat. Other than that I wouldn't care too much where they are placed. Becomes more about aesthetics than anything else imo.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Lawrence.

There's also the distance apart/cable length issue for both speaker cables and interconnects. Should monoblocs always be near the speakers? If you have asymmetric speaker placement relative to the amp should you run both cables tree same length? Etc.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    . For instance, the less error correction a cdp has to perform the better it sounds.
    This is incorrect.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

What I was trying to say was a player that doesn't skip when playing sounds more appealing than one that does.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Andrew.

I’ve just recently bought an old radiogram/stereogram. A nice piece of ‘mid century’ furniture. It only had the radio and speakers left inside. I’ve taken what was left out, made hinges so the front drops down and put all my equipment inside. All the hifi except the turntable and speakers is now hidden from view. I think it is a very ‘tasteful’ solution.

I'm Paul.

I've got a similar arrangement Andrew with all my gear inside a wide low level unit with ir repeaters getting the remote signals where they need to go

Only hifi bits on show are my preamp and the speakers. I prefer it all out of sight.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    There's also the distance apart/cable length issue for both speaker cables and interconnects. Should monoblocs always be near the speakers? If you have asymmetric speaker placement relative to the amp should you run both cables tree same length? Etc.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    In my system I have a monoblock amplifier placed directly behind each speaker. They are connected back to the preamp using balanced line cables; which because they run under the floor are not of equal length. The unequal length makes no difference to the overall performance.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In my system I have a monoblock amplifier placed directly behind each speaker. They are connected back to the preamp using balanced line cables; which because they run under the floor are not of equal length. The unequal length makes no difference to the overall performance.
    mine are directly on top of each speaker. it doesnt seem to cause an issue. all cable lengths are equal
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    mine are directly on top of each speaker. it doesnt seem to cause an issue. all cable lengths are equal
    Can't put my amps on top of the speakers - they're Quad 57s. The speaker cables are of equal length (30cm).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast