+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Longdog Audio MCJ3 Phono Stage

I'm Andrew.

Default Longdog Audio MCJ3 Phono Stage

I just reviewed this phono stage and I thought it was fantastic. Full review here.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...e-phono-stage/

To sum up briefly, this has a great balance of qualities; tonal richness, dynamics, sense of space. It's not lacking in any area, and it's quiet too. It makes me wonder why there aren't more hybrid stages on the market. Audio Research makes them, but at a far higher price point, and with only 58dB of gain. This one has 64db, which is enough for the majority of MC carts, and a good range of loading settings. Another rarity is an accessible dial to change the loading. It's all very well thought out.

I just sent this back and frankly I was gutted to say goodbye. In the review I focused on its more refined qualities, but on my last evening with it I listened to 'Aladdin Sane'. Mick Ronson was all raw electricity and I was punching the air: I've never really heard the guts and fuzz of his guitar tone so clearly. But the clarity isn't just about seeing detail; it serves the visceral qualities of the music. I'm not sure I can live without it.

Apologies that I've posted the same text on two different forums: I know there are Longdog fans here especially, but I think the word needs spreading elsewhere too.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantears View Post
    I just reviewed this phono stage and I thought it was fantastic. Full review here.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...e-phono-stage/

To sum up briefly, this has a great balance of qualities; tonal richness, dynamics, sense of space. It's not lacking in any area, and it's quiet too. It makes me wonder why there aren't more hybrid stages on the market. Audio Research makes them, but at a far higher price point, and with only 58dB of gain. This one has 64db, which is enough for the majority of MC carts, and a good range of loading settings. Another rarity is an accessible dial to change the loading. It's all very well thought out.

I just sent this back and frankly I was gutted to say goodbye. In the review I focused on its more refined qualities, but on my last evening with it I listened to 'Aladdin Sane'. Mick Ronson was all raw electricity and I was punching the air: I've never really heard the guts and fuzz of his guitar tone so clearly. But the clarity isn't just about seeing detail; it serves the visceral qualities of the music. I'm not sure I can live without it.

Apologies that I've posted the same text on two different forums: I know there are Longdog fans here especially, but I think the word needs spreading elsewhere too.

Big fan of the previous unit, the MCJ2

I like Nick's work

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephantears View Post
    It makes me wonder why there aren't more hybrid stages on the market. Audio Research makes them, but at a far higher price point, and with only 58dB of gain.
    I make hybrid phono stages as well.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I make hybrid phono stages as well.
    I like those too.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 11-04-2019 at 12:56.

I'm Tim.

Anyone interested in the Phono Stage in this review should check out this advert on HiFi Wigwam.
    Mark brought this phono stage to my bake off and it is fantastic and half the price of a new one. It was as good as my Trilogy 907 with a slightly smoother presentation.
    Coupled with an Art9 cartridge it entertained a house full of HiFi addicts all day.
    A stonking bargain at £800 and recently serviced by Longdog too.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...omment-2380450

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Anyone interested in the Phono Stage in this review should check out this advert on HiFi Wigwam.
    Mark brought this phono stage to my bake off and it is fantastic and half the price of a new one. It was as good as my Trilogy 907 with a slightly smoother presentation.
    Coupled with an Art9 cartridge it entertained a house full of HiFi addicts all day.
    A stonking bargain at £800 and recently serviced by Longdog too.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...omment-2380450
    That looks a very good price. Can't rate Nick's stuff high enough TBF.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I can believe it. I've been thinking for a while that the Longdog would sound fantastic with an ART9, and I really wish I'd had one to hand during the review process. The only reason I didn't buy the review unit is that I felt I would ideally like another 3dB of gain with my Miyajima, which is 0.2mV. However I only really noticed this as an issue with classical LPs that were recorded very low. In these cases the S/N ration suffered a little, but in most other cases the Miyajima was fantastic with the MCJ3.

At one point I considered getting an ART9 and selling the Miyajima, but I don't know if I can do that; I'm just too attached to its mixture of qualities. Very tough choice though. I don't think I am going to do better than the MCJ3, so I fear I've made a foolish decision letting it go.

+ Reply to Thread