+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics Counterweight

I'm David.

Default Technics Counterweight

Hi, I have a SL-1200 MK5 and decided to remove the counterweight today as I noticed what I thought was dirt in the groove between the plastic dial and the counterweight body. But, on inspection, it appears to be some kind of grease and I think there is also some of this around the 'threads' too. Any idea if the counterweight is supposed to be greased...if so I assume pretty much anything (Vaseline, Nyogel) could be used...if supposed to be greased I'd prefer to clean and apply fresh before re-fitting?

I'm Mick.

You can put a dab of anything on but to be honest I never bothered. It doesn't really need it
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm David.

Cheers, makes the counterweight movement feel a little slicker, so added a little synthetic lube. Just wondered if they came lubed from the factory.

I'm Mick.

Not sure if they came new with anything on them. I have never used anything and had no issues.

I think its up to you.

To lube or not to lube that is the question
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread