+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from south Bristol UK

I'm Roger.

Default Hello from south Bristol UK

In 1958 my old dad set up his first stereo system - Lenco TT, Tripletone pre and 15W monoblocs, great big built in corner speakers with Whafedale drivers and sand filled baffles - and I have been hooked ever since! These days I am a Decca/Radford junkie and the current system comprises a custom built TT (not by me) viz: Decca Supergold (re-tipped by the late lamented Garrott brothers) in a chunky one-off unipivot tonearm, very nicely engineered (again - not by me), with an externally driven Garrard 401 platter in a seriously hefty concrete plinth. Then it's Radford all the way (well this is Bristol, after all!) SC24 pre-amp, Renaissance STA 35 (Woodside), Studio 90 transmission lines, Radford (Woodside) CD player.

However, I also love to hear what people heard throughout the history of recorded music. So I have a variety of players from very early through to the 70s - Deccas from the 'Trench' gramophone to the extraordinary SG188 of 1958, a 40s Columbia rim drive, Philips' minimalist 'umbrella spindle' autochanger from the 60s, all (I think) of the cartridges Decca made etc. I can't resist something odd that I have never heard. Some I keep - some I restore and sell. Claim to fame? The root and branch restoration of a legendary Decca Stereo Deccola (1959) now resident in Japan, where I believe they sacrifice small mammals to it before switching on!!

The username comes from the fact that I spent about 20 years teaching people to ride horses in our trail riding centre in the Welsh mountains. Jobs that actually supplied me with enough money to live on included - analytical organic chemist, AVA and theatre technician, offset litho printer, secondary teacher, education consultant (ESOL) and college lecturer - now retired.

I'm M.

Hi Roger. Welcome to AOS

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Roger. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting intro. I'm sure members would appreciate photos of your system, we have a Gallery if you'd like to post some.

It must be forty years since I saw any Studio 90 speakers. They are very rare now.

You'll find a lot going on here and great interest in vintage equipment. Feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Roger. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting intro. I'm sure members would appreciate photos of your system, we have a Gallery if you'd like to post some.
    Yes, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there are many folk here who would love to see photos of your system.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Roger.

I'll dig out some photos - thanks for the responses.

I'm Roger.

I tried and looked at the tutorials - I don't use hosting sites - any way of uploading from my PC?

I'm Justin.

If you PM me with the photos I will post them for you.

From Portishead, so not far for them to go LOL.

I'm Roger.

That's a kind offer - thanks.

+ Reply to Thread