+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12v into 9v - what will happen?

I'm Steve.

Default 12v into 9v - what will happen?

Hi all,

I have an SMSL dac which I'm wanting to put in the AOS swap shop, but I seem to have lost the adaptor plug for it. All I can find is one that outputs 12v, while the dac wants 9v. Can this be used, or will it bugger up the SMSL?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi all,

I have an SMSL dac which I'm wanting to put in the AOS swap shop, but I seem to have lost the adaptor plug for it. All I can find is one that outputs 12v, while the dac wants 9v. Can this be used, or will it bugger up the SMSL?
    Not a good idea, I think.

You could offer it without the psu.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Much depends on the voltage reg in the unit but without being sure from data sheet I wouldn't do it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Yes it all depends on whether there are internal regulators, and if so what the maximum they can cope with is.

I'm Chris.

Also that it is assumed 9v DC is being discussed, when it could be 9v AC , 9V AC once full wave rectified being 12.7v DC

and if 9VDC that some naughty plugpack manufacturers swap the polarity at the end connector. The most common type is
    the middle connector being positive, which is to say some are and might be the other way.

If its AC initially, most common regulators will handle the once rectified 4.2v DC difference. For instance a LM317
    rated to 40v input to output differential, a 78xx ( horrible regulators) rated to 35v DC, but exceptions are low dropout LDO types where
    typically 20v DC is the maximum - some 24V Dc though. The effect of more initial voltage, adds heat to be dissipated, which may
    or may not be allowed for in the design.

Hence as most are saying, supply with the exact adapter.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 09-04-2019 at 19:46.

I'm Steve.

Thanks everyone, I suspected it wouldn't be a good idea, but didn't know why. I'll put it in AOS swapshop sans adaptor and see if anyone wants it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread