+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello all from Norwich, UK

I'm Cas.

Default Hello all from Norwich, UK

Hi I'm Cas,
    I have been an amateur Hi-Fi enthusiast ever since I was determined, after listening to all manner of beautiful music on my parents cabinet stereogram, that I could do better justice to the music. When I started working I started collecting, first a Technics turntable (which I still use to play my vinyls) with an SME arm and Schure V15 cartridge. For months all I could do with it was turn it on and watch it go round. My dad took sympathy and loaned me the money to get a Quad 33/405 combination with a pair of B&W DMIIA Monitors so I could actually play something - it was, and still is a lovely audio system. I obviously added bits to it and changed during the years but still have the original equipment boxed and treasured as my first serious Hi-Fi kit. So now I have a couple of Cyrus aPA7s controlled by a Cyrus aCA7 with a Cyrus CD player a Graham Slee preamp between the turntable and the aCA7 which all feeds music to my BKS Supreme 107s. The original and most recent systems have very different sounds, my thinking is that the Quads through the B&W produced more ooomph on the lower end and had a mellowness to them with the Cyrus/BKS combination bringing crisper mid and high tones. I listen to pretty much everything Classical, Prog Rock, Regular Rock, Pop, House, Hard House, Trance, Jazz....everything from La Boheme to Underworld. if it's good, I like it.

I haven't kept up with whats on the market recently - and as a computer programmer who has worked at machine level, surprisingly I don't stream music to my Hi-Fi yet. I think I like the physical feel of things and the beautiful album work as much as the music: I bought a Lemon Jelly album on the strength of it's artwork alone - but the music is great too which is a plus.

That's me...

I'm Martin.

Hi Cas - pretty fancy speakers!

I can understand working with computers all day that you don't want to use one when relaxing to music. Welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Cas. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here, there's a lot going on.

Feel free to join in the chat, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Cas.

Thank you for the welcome all - The fancy speakers are the principle reason why I have joined here - I shall start a new thread in, hopefully, the right area of the forum about it...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Cas,

Great introduction - so I'll forgive you the "vinyls".

As a fellow Quad enthusiast, I can recommend having the Quad gear fettled and upgraded by Dada or NET.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread