+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a new DAC

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    jeez, think i will pass
    You can get them pre-built Grant. It's a rather impressive looking stack..
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    Yes! If you buy the Plug n Play version you can avoid the fiddling about.

For those of you who are having a lot of grief with the 'powering-up routine'..

You can avoid a lot of the powering on/off grief as well by using micro-usb on/off switches https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't been able to find these with a USB C fitting but the addition of these little convertors works a treat..

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm John.

The 'powering up routine' is no longer necessary with the current version of Katana. I power everything up together and it work fine.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    The 'powering up routine' is no longer necessary with the current version of Katana. I power everything up together and it work fine.
    Is that the same when using the Isolator? If so, then that's even better, I can still use the switches on the powerbank to choose between charging and powering the Katana.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    think i will stick with the neat digione and the nice aluminium case. looking at the prices, it is becoming an expensive item.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andy.

Assuming you dont need MQA I would suggest the Caimen SEG with Dorado power supply, very analogue sounding with decent proper musical bass. As you are based in London and Stanley the owner of Home HIFI is based in NW London and has a 30 day money back offer if you dont like it (you will) you have nothing to lose. Just for reference I tried a Rega DAC the latest version and the Caimen surpasses it and I have an all Rega System apart from Streamer
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmltech View Post
    Assuming you dont need MQA I would suggest the Caimen SEG with Dorado power supply, very analogue sounding with decent proper musical bass. As you are based in London and Stanley the owner of Home HIFI is based in NW London and has a 30 day money back offer if you dont like it (you will) you have nothing to lose. Just for reference I tried a Rega DAC the latest version and the Caimen surpasses it and I have an all Rega System apart from Streamer
    Thanks, that's helpful...I will look into the Caiman some more. Can I ask how the Rega and Caiman compared in terms of sound signature/tonal balance...what did you find was better with the Caiman?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Is that the same when using the Isolator? If so, then that's even better, I can still use the switches on the powerbank to choose between charging and powering the Katana.
    I haven't got the isolator but my guess is that it would be OK.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Since you are in London, just like me, why not give my Caiman SEG a try? It has all the attributes you are looking for, including the deep bass.
    I can vouch for the bass I kept thing my sub was on during a upgrade
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Leo.

PecanPi DAC
    See my website in signature .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast