+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a new DAC

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree, it's got warmth and bass heft but imo is sadly lacking in clarity and dynamic get up and go.

Some folks do seem to love them but I do wonder if that's because they haven't heard what else is on offer. But, tastes do differ, also system synergy.
    I really need to hear one and ideally in a demo against at least one other DAC...but my local hifi shop seems to be concentrating on the all-in-one type streamer now, as per Naim, Linn etc and I think the only standalone DAC they had was the Rega. When I asked about it recently they didn't offer a demo as they used to always do many years ago when I was last looking to (and did) buy kit from them. The Katana/Isolator setup sounds interesting too though and would work out cheaper, especially if I were to sell my Allo DigiOne, which it seems would then be surplus to requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I agree, it's got warmth and bass heft but imo is sadly lacking in clarity and dynamic get up and go.

Some folks do seem to love them but I do wonder if that's because they haven't heard what else is on offer. But, tastes do differ, also system synergy.
    Have you had a chance to listen to a TC-7535 Caiman SEG with the Dorado? Or are you confusing it with the TC-7520 Caiman SEG?

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    No argument with the Rega sound from me, David. I have an RP3/24 + TTPSU & Fonostage. If the Rega-r didn't suit they are easy to sell on, so you'd probably not loose by trying one out.
    Good point, I would imagine would be easy to sell on...though sometimes I can be a bit lazy with that...explains the collection of old CDP's, amps and phono stages I have sitting here gathering dust!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Have you had a chance to listen to a TC-7535 Caiman SEG with the Dorado? Or are you confusing it with the TC-7520 Caiman SEG?
    ah, sorry, Stan. I see now that my post was ambiguous and I have corrected it.

I certainly would not accuse any of your DACs of being laid back or lacking in excitement. I was referring to the Rega.
    A Beresford DAC is definitely one for the short list.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Be very interesting to hear how you get on Tony as we (the 'midlands three') are all using Pi + Allo Boss V1.2 + isolator.
    Hi Alan, could you tell me how that combo sounds in comparison to the Digione/ Topping D30 which I seem to remember you tried out - am still using mine.

Cheers
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Phil.

if you could just sqeeze a bit more to afford this , it would be worth it

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...ith-mega-mods/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

First chance to listen to the Katana tonight. Standard disclaimer as it is only on standard switching power supplies to the Micro Controller & Isolator (as the order was missing an extra power supply).

Superficial listening session using familiar tracks (having listened to said tracks recently in the Boss setup).

First impressions are very, very promising indeed.

That’s not to say that the impression was immediate, it wasn’t. Swapping in the Katana was at first like a more refined and detailed version of the Boss but not a night and day difference.

This was not unexpected however, having read others reviews and also knowing that my system takes at least 40 mins to ‘get comfy’ I just carried on listening to familiar tracks....after about an hour, things just started to happen, BIG TIME!

The music just seemed to bloom and I found myself completely captivated.

I had to force myself to stop listening as I really hadn’t planned on listening to my entire music collection afresh (not to mention the entire contents of Tidal Hifi)

I think it’s fairly safe to say that I am very pleased with this change and very much looking forward to hearing what this astonishing little setup has to offer ongoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Hi Alan, could you tell me how that combo sounds in comparison to the Digione/ Topping D30 which I seem to remember you tried out - am still using mine.

Cheers
    I never had a Digione Julian, only a Topping D30 fed from SPDIF.

I can say the Topping was bettered by my Bel Canto Dac3, a smoother bass and less grain to the treble, though not a huge difference given the price differential.
    Now I have the RPi/Allo Boss V1.2 all on linear psu's this is now bettering the Bel Canto, with greater insight to the recording space/ambience.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    First chance to listen to the Katana tonight. Standard disclaimer as it is only on standard switching power supplies to the Micro Controller & Isolator (as the order was missing an extra power supply).

Superficial listening session using familiar tracks (having listened to said tracks recently in the Boss setup).

First impressions are very, very promising indeed.

That’s not to say that the impression was immediate, it wasn’t. Swapping in the Katana was at first like a more refined and detailed version of the Boss but not a night and day difference.

This was not unexpected however, having read others reviews and also knowing that my system takes at least 40 mins to ‘get comfy’ I just carried on listening to familiar tracks....after about an hour, things just started to happen, BIG TIME!

The music just seemed to bloom and I found myself completely captivated.

I had to force myself to stop listening as I really hadn’t planned on listening to my entire music collection afresh (not to mention the entire contents of Tidal Hifi)

I think it’s fairly safe to say that I am very pleased with this change and very much looking forward to hearing what this astonishing little setup has to offer ongoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the initial impressions Tony. Funny I found my system and the Pi3 +Boss 1.2 took a little time to warm up and give its best. It is very encouraging to hear your thoughts when I already know how superb the Boss sounds.

I need to get to hear the Katana!

Did you know Allo are bringing out their own PSU for the Boss and Katana called the Nirvana? I think it will also add something special to the sound although a couple of LPSU will also elevate the Allo DACs to another level.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks for the initial impressions Tony. Funny I found my system and the Pi3 +Boss 1.2 took a little time to warm up and give its best. It is very encouraging to hear your thoughts when I already know how superb the Boss sounds.

I need to get to hear the Katana!

Did you know Allo are bringing out their own PSU for the Boss and Katana called the Nirvana? I think it will also add something special to the sound although a couple of LPSU will also elevate the Allo DACs to another level.
    Wasn't aware of that, thanks! I may just hold fire on the dual iFi's then. In the meantime, will have a play with using the Power Bank into the Micro Controller (soon as the little Micro USB to USB C adaptors arrive), then I can use the 'USB cable switches' to make the whole 'Katana Power-up Ritual' a little easier.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast