+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a new DAC

I'm Neil.

Default Contemplating a new DAC

I’d be tempted by the new Allo Katana DAC, and sell the DigiOne. I would opt for the “sound quality” stage rather than the “pure THD” stage.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I’d be tempted by the new Allo Katana DAC, and sell the DigiOne. I would opt for the “sound quality” stage rather than the “pure THD” stage.
    I'm just waiting for mine to arrive right now. Went for the Katana + Isolator with "Sound Quality" stage. Plan on using existing 2 power sources initially, standard Allo 5V power to the 'Dirty' side of the Isolator and the 20000mAh Power Bank to the Micro Controller.

Would be waiting at home for me tonight if it weren't for ParcelForce's unerring ability to screw up every single delivery I have ever relied on them for. :-(
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Alan.

Be very interesting to hear how you get on Tony as we (the 'midlands three') are all using Pi + Allo Boss V1.2 + isolator.

I'm Twisted.

I've been using the Katana set-up Tony described above (though mine with a Longdog PSU) for a couple of months. I posted my impressions on the Katana thread recently. Several weeks on and it continues to beguile me; it's a wonder.

For the OP I should acknowledge that I am not much of a vinyl listener, so can't comment on the Katana's character in comparison with analogue.
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Josie.

+1 for the Katana.

Please read my review here: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-new-ball-game
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Jo.

Default Another suggestion....

Audiovisual Online are currently offering Roksan K3 DACs [RRP £1,300] at a very tidy 69% discount - £399.00 including next working day delivery if you order before 16.00. I bought one last week and am delighted with it, the best sounding DAC I've listened to so far. A friend had bought one so I was able to take my own HPA, cables, and cans to replicate how it would perform in my setup.

I'm tony.

Stans SEG/dorado combo would fit the bill nicely.

I tried the Rega dac a few years ago....way too warm and laid back for me.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Audiovisual Online are currently offering Roksan K3 DACs [RRP £1,300] at a very tidy 69% discount - £399.00 including next working day delivery if you order before 16.00. I bought one last week and am delighted with it, the best sounding DAC I've listened to so far. A friend had bought one so I was able to take my own HPA, cables, and cans to replicate how it would perform in my setup.
    Very tempting for that money, but wonder how the sound signature compares to the Rega dac-r, which I've been researching and consistently is described as being analogue sounding, smooth, powerful bass etc...sounds right 'up my street'!
    Last edited by yabadaba; 08-04-2019 at 23:09.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I tried the Rega dac a few years ago....way too warm and laid back for me.
    I agree, it's got warmth and bass heft but imo is sadly lacking in clarity and dynamic get up and go.

Some folks do seem to love them but I do wonder if that's because they haven't heard what else is on offer. But, tastes do differ, also system synergy.
    Last edited by jandl100; 09-04-2019 at 09:03.

I'm Jo.

No argument with the Rega sound from me, David. I have an RP3/24 + TTPSU & Fonostage. If the Rega-r didn't suit they are easy to sell on, so you'd probably not loose by trying one out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast