+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a new DAC

I'm David.

Default Contemplating a new DAC

Hi, my current digital setup is a Raspberry Pi 3 / Allo DigiOne combo loaded with Volumio and fed by network located FLAC files (my CD rips), Spotify or Tidal. The output goes into a Shek D1 (NOS) DAC (TDA1543) and then to a Yaqin MC100B (KT88 tube amp) and onwards to a pair of Spendor S9e's. I played around with different digital sources (CD players) and DACS a few years ago and settled with the Shek because of how more noticeably smoother it made everything sound. I really can't get on with anything even bordering on bright/sharp sounding.

However, I'm finding that I still enjoy listening to my vinyl sources so much more and even though they generally sound very smooth and laid back (compared to my digital sources) they somehow manage to produce a more detailed and involving sound at the same time. Okay, I know digital sources will never sound like analogue ones and I shouldn't be trying to achieve that, but are there any DACS out there, for under £400, that might provide more detail and 'texture' whilst not sounding too bright or forward. I prefer a richer, more laid back presentation and one with with a strong bass and whilst I know I should aim to achieve this via amp/speakers, if the DAC is going to lean one way or another then that towards that would be my preference. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm Gary.

I’d go for a Rega Dac, very close to sounding like you are describing.
    a “Non digital” and musical listen, easy to relax into the music and forget about whether your dac is “good enough”.

Not heard the new version, but see if you can pick one of those up second hand for your budget, it’s supposed to be better than the Version 1 which I had.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

The Allo Boss 1.2 DAC
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The Allo Boss 1.2 DAC
    Yup. Couldn't agree more at this point.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm David.

Depending how much you want to spend you could have a look at the Metrum NOS range.

I'm David.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into all these options.

But, starting off with the Allo Boss 1.2, can I ask does anyone know if this is designed to work together with the RPI and DigiOne combo or just the RPI alone? I suspect it might negate the need for the DigiOne. If all 3 together then I'm not sure if there would be a case option. Sorry, I'm a bit of a RPI noob and haven't quite got my head around all the configuration/add on options yet. Thanks, David.

Since you are in London, just like me, why not give my Caiman SEG a try? It has all the attributes you are looking for, including the deep bass.

I'm Neal.

I’m not up to speed on the latest Volumio but if it has an option to alter the sox filter settings I’d have a play with that first. Also, maybe the Shek would benefit from a power supply upgrade.....
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

NOS DACs can put out loads of ultrasonic rubbish and according to info measured here and there, it's not low in level either, so be warned. May cause distortion at audio frequencies, thereby adding sonic 'character' perhaps.

The Rega DAC has been designed and 'voiced' by a vinyl loving company, so any sonic character will be more around warmth of tone rather than sharply 'etched' 'deeeeetail.' Me? I'm a cheapskate, so I'd look first at a £200 Topping D50 which at least measures pretty well properly and doesn't seem especially power supply fussy...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-d50-dac.2403/
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by yabadaba View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'll look into all these options.

But, starting off with the Allo Boss 1.2, can I ask does anyone know if this is designed to work together with the RPI and DigiOne combo or just the RPI alone? I suspect it might negate the need for the DigiOne. If all 3 together then I'm not sure if there would be a case option. Sorry, I'm a bit of a RPI noob and haven't quite got my head around all the configuration/add on options yet. Thanks, David.
    It works with the Pi alone, it is a Dac/reclocker combined.

Interesting developments in the midlands with 3 of us using this and experimenting with power supply arrangements.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast