+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a new DAC

I'm Grant.

still using my digione into eiher of my dacs. the one in the vena or my xs. The vena is improving all the time and im using it more now to see how much i can get out of it. good the digione has 2 outputs. im still just using a standard psu tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    First chance to listen to the Katana tonight....
    Nice to read your experience Tony, and to see how closely it accords with my own experience. I'd be interested to read more reflections as the system settles.

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    Nice to read your experience Tony, and to see how closely it accords with my own experience. I'd be interested to read more reflections as the system settles.

Simon
    Last night was a more extensive listening session. Apologies for the 'bullet point' notes here but it's a brief lull in an otherwise busy day undoing the damage caused by Windows Updates :-)

* Resolution and detail - boy this puppy digs out some unexpected stuff from the mix. Every track is a bit of a voyage of discovery, but in an enjoyable way not a tiring sideshow.

* Vocals - Close vocal harmonies and complex vocal tracks are so easily resolved into their constituents and also placed in soundstage depth.

* Coherence - everything just makes more musical sense, vocally, rhythmically and dynamically.

* Transparency - easily shows the quality of the track's recording and production, not to mention the characteristics of the partnering equipment you are using to listen to it on.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm James.

Last night was a more extensive listening session. Apologies for the 'bullet point' notes here but it's a brief lull in an otherwise busy day undoing the damage caused by Windows Updates :-)

* Resolution and detail - boy this puppy digs out some unexpected stuff from the mix. Every track is a bit of a voyage of discovery, but in an enjoyable way not a tiring sideshow.

* Vocals - Close vocal harmonies and complex vocal tracks are so easily resolved into their constituents and also placed in soundstage depth.

* Coherence - everything just makes more musical sense, vocally, rhythmically and dynamically.

* Transparency - easily shows the quality of the track's recording and production, not to mention the characteristics of the partnering equipment you are using to listen to it on.
    Can you let me know what differences you find between the Boss and Katana?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

what psu does the Katana use?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    what psu does the Katana use?
    At the moment, I am just using two standard 5V supplies (one in Micro Controller, one in the Isolator).
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

At the moment, I am just using two standard 5V supplies (one in Micro Controller, one in the Isolator).
    ah, how many bits, or boards are there ... the digione is just a single board plus the pi, and just 1 psu
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Can you let me know what differences you find between the Boss and Katana?
    I thought that was what the bullet points were highlighting the areas of improvement over my old Boss setup to be honest. I should have added 'Control' maybe, as the bass in particular is notably tighter and more controlled (Laura Marling's track "Soothing" is a good example, the two basses being used on the track are easily resolved and distinct).

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ah, how many bits, or boards are there ... the digione is just a single board plus the pi, and just 1 psu
    Lots of bits and boards, and even more ways of powering them! :-)

The main constituents (in my setup) are:-

The Micro Controller
    The Opamp
    The Katana
    The Isolator
    The RPi

The preferred (by Allo) way of powering is to the Micro Controller and the Isolator - but there are many variations and many advocates of other methods.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...F1m5BcN3Nchp7N

I'm Grant.

jeez, think i will pass
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast