+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from South East London

I'm David.

Default Hello from South East London

Hello, I've been a member of several of the well known audiophile/hifi forums for many years, though only came across this one fairly recently, but after reading through several very interesting threads I decided it would be well worth signing-up! I've been into hifi, on and off, since the 80's (but have always been a big music listener) and after a few years concentrating my free time on other pursuits I got back into this game 'big time' a few months back after I suddenly decided to dust-off my separates and then realised how much more rewarding a listen they were than my Sonos setup.

My current analogue front ends are a Rega Planar 3 / RB300 turntable (original 90's version but with 24v motor upgrade) with Nagaoka MP110 cartridge into a Schiit Mani phono stage and a Technics SL1200 MK5 with Denon DL103 into a Sugden A21SE Stage Two phono stage. I've also got a couple of other phono stages - Project Phono Box S2 and CA 640P - that are left over from my search for phono stages that I was happy with. The phono stages feed a Yaqin MC100B valve amp (Svetlana KT88's, Brimar 6SN7's and Mullard 12AX7's), which outputs into a pair of Spendor S9e's. As regards digital, I have burned most of my CD's to FLAC and have Spotify and Tidal accounts, all of which is routed through a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ / Allo DigiOne (running Volumio), into Shek D1 DAC (TDA1543, I think) and onwards to my amp & speakers.

I've concentrated my effort recently on vinyl and am happy with what I'm hearing (assuming playing a decent pressing of course), but I'm not overly pleased with the digital side of things and am hoping I can do some research on here and ask a few questions to work out what changes I need to make. I suspect a new DAC...but so many choices. Anyway I spotted a 'what DAC have you got thread' so I'm going to read through that. Need something that leans towards smooth and velvety, whilst still being detailed, if that is actually possible. A Naim CD player (CDX I think it was) nearly made me give up on digital altogether a few years ago and only the much smoother TDA1543 based Shek DAC rescued things a bit...but the smoothness that imparts seems to be at the cost of detail.

Anyway, looking forward to spending some time on here and learning what I can from what seems like a good bunch of people. Cheers, David.

I'm Geoff.

Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

Good sound is achievable from CD and I'm sure members can give you plenty of opinions on getting a sound you like. Why not start a thread in the Digital Expressions section and outline your ideas?

Feel free to join in the banter, it's a friendly place and there's a lot going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Thanks Geoff and I did just what you suggested - already had some helpful replies that I will explore further.

I'm Paul.

Hello David, I'm originally from South London. Always good advice available on here. Enjoy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by yabadaba View Post
    Thanks Geoff and I did just what you suggested
    Ah. So you did.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

If you can find one a Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC may just be what you are looking for.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Dave.

Welcome David. Good name you have.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

+ Reply to Thread