+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM Phono stage or Variable MM/MC?

I'm Nat.

Default MM Phono stage or Variable MM/MC?

I recently aquired an Audio Technica AT150 AE MM cart and am really enjoying it, it's being used on a moddified Rega 250 on an LP12 into a Trichord Dino/NCPSU into a Naim Uniti Mk1.
    I'm intending on sticking with MMs for a while maybe playing around with different stylus but keeping the AT150 body so my question is am I better off trading my Trichord Dino for a dedicated MM phono stage of equal used value, my thinking is if I ever do end up with another MC I could then play around with an SUT.
    If the answer is yes to an MM then which would you recommend my hifi budget will be a lot lower than it has been so my intention is to spend any funds I do have on my front end. .
    Thanks in advance

I'm Louis.

Seems to me you have a much better than average phono stage. If you get the MC bug, here's a warning based on my experience. The idea one SUT will work with most MC's is not true in my experience.

Your phono stage uses a head amp for moving coils. It is much easier to find a good match with a head amp. You may find Nirvana with an SUT, but it is a long journey.

If you like the sound you are getting, just play records and enjoy.

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
    Seems to me you have a much better than average phono stage. If you get the MC bug, here's a warning based on my experience. The idea one SUT will work with most MC's is not true in my experience.

Your phono stage uses a head amp for moving coils. It is much easier to find a good match with a head amp. You may find Nirvana with an SUT, but it is a long journey.

If you like the sound you are getting, just play records and enjoy.
    +1, As a regular attendee to bake-offs I've not known any SUT (and we've heard a few Hashimoto's amongst the mix) to universally upgrade a system, they always sound better at home with a carefully matched cart and phono stage.

The Dino is decent and nicely balanced. Doesn't add any of its own flavour or PRAT and the upgrades with better power supplies work.

I'm Nat.

Thanks louie3 & DDDog I do really like my dino its the longest constant in my system 5 years now and think I'll hang on to it.

+ Reply to Thread