+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fyne Audio Speakers?

I'm Martin.

Default Fyne Audio Speakers?

Hi

This looks like a company with the talent to design great speakers. A company that means business.

With so many speakers on the market I look for the smaller outfits or a home brew feel. A Joe Ackroyd feeling of speaker production....boffins at work

They have had great reviews from the 301 up to the flagship F1s. Ive seen some You Tube videos. I dont like that the lower range ones are made in China as I am trying to avoid that

Those 501s look very well designed with the dual concentric driver. The 302 floorstanders look good at £399. The baby 301s are £179 and part of a range which can be expanded for home cinema use.

Seems liks a good choice and a clever play on Fyne loch and fine...see what they have done there ... Makes me think of pure craftmanship and good Scottish things like Linn.

I must check these out. Has anybody heard them?
    Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 05-04-2019 at 15:53.

I'm Adam.

Yep. I liked ‘em.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Ex Tannoy guys who were either let go or left when Tannoy were taken over a few years ago if I remember right.

I'm tony.

Silent on here has experience of these, his dad bought a pair.

will pm him to get his impressions for you.

I'm Martin.

Yes I was reading it seems to be a whole department of ex Tannoy guys. With plenty of manufacturers in the bookshelf and floorstanders market I was just looking for something away from the usual big names.

Its difficult to know who has the edge in speaker manufacturing and what price for a bit of a giant killer. I know we generally get what we pay for but it takes some determination to come into the market and compete with Mission, M.A, KEF, Q acoustics and others

Fyne have been getting good reviews and I like what they are doing with the 501s

Fyne audio seem to have a well designed range. I must try and hear some of them in action

I'm Geoff.

The Fyne dual concentric drivers have a pretty similar appearance to the Tannoy tulip waveguide models. I wonder where they are made, as there are Chinese made dual concentrics that also have an obvious similarity.

Here's a Chinese offering:

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Well they clearly have some talent so it makes sense thats theres probably going to be something along similar lines to the parts they were working on at Tannoy.

I must admit that I feel slighty sad when made in China is mentioned in relation to speaker drivers. Im not saying the Chinese dont make good stuff but its like we have lost something crucial.

I am particularly interested in the 501 because I feel dual concentic is the way to go. A point source makes sense to me so the treble isnt coming say 5" away from the main driver. Not knowing too much about it I would have thought it blends in better

I dont fully understand why all speaker manufacturers are not adopting it so maybe its not all its cracked up to be...

I'm Martin.

Doing it properly is not cheap and in the showroom many punters equate more drivers with being better. You can buy the one with 2 drivers a side or the one with just one driver. To the uninitiated the one with 2 drivers looks like you are getting more for your money. Especially if it is cheaper which it probably will be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

There was a good review of a pair of their smaller speakers in Hi-Fi News and Record Reviews.
    Rob.