+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Wharfedale Airedale speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Wharfedale Airedale speakers

These arrived today. I knew as soon as I bought them I'd have to move them straight on as I don't have the room but I've always wanted to hear a pair. The seller has restored them, replacing the capacitors, reveneering some areas ( which you cannot tell without examining them closely) and putting better metal strips on the top and bottom of the (original) fabric.

They have a 15" woofer in a big thick plywood cabinet with slotted ports at the back - some quite modern features I thought, they're ahead of their time in some ways. The omnidirectional 8" mid range and 3" cone tweeter point upward and can be adjusted by the knobs on the back that crackle a little. I think bypassing then would improve the sound quite a bit.

While they are big they make beautiful pieces of vintage furniture. I imagine they would cost thousands if made now. In fact the original price is up there with the ESL57 and big Tannoys. The fabric is lovely original vintage with a couple of minor issues that you don't really notice, the worst is shown in a photo.

I thought they would be quite different sounding due to the upward pointing mid and treble drivers but they sound very good I could definitely live with them if I had the space. I reckon they'd sound even better with valves but I can't set up my monoblocs with the kids around to try. I found the bass a little waffly so I took the backs off and took some roughly cut black fabric off the back of the slotted ports and added some damping material to the bass chamber and they sound much better. They could still be probably tuned a bit more optimally if I was fussy and had the time but I'll leave that to the next owner.

Collection only from North London N21 near the M25, A1, A10 and A406. You'll need a big car (estate or 4x4) or a van for these!

Withdrawn while I try ebay. Update: ebay price is £295 but members can PM me for a deal

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 06-04-2019 at 20:19. Reason: Now on ebay etc.

I'm Grant.

always wanted a set of these to play with.. look in decent condition too... good buy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Cheers Grant I forgot to say there's a mark on top of one shown here.

I'm Edward.

As a child we had an Airedale - Airedale Terrier that is.

The speakers look wonderful Lawrence. Wish I had the space as like you I would take a punt. GLWS
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm shahrin.

OMG dad had a pair!
    Those pics of the woofer and bass compartment brings back memories - as a boy i removed the rear panel to have a look inside, and was impressed.
    Upwards firing 5 in midrange and 3 in cone tweeter if memory serves me.
    we had a crap Fisher ss amp the tx300. i am sure these would have benefitted from Fisher tube amplifcation.
    There cant have been many sold in Malaysia in the mid 60s ...
    This is a gorgeous pair
    Good luck with sale
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    As a child we had an Airedale - Airedale Terrier that is.

The speakers look wonderful Lawrence. Wish I had the space as like you I would take a punt. GLWS
    Thanks for the kind words Edward, I'm now trying them on ebay as I need to shift them quickly.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    OMG dad had a pair!
    Those pics of the woofer and bass compartment brings back memories - as a boy i removed the rear panel to have a look inside, and was impressed.
    Upwards firing 5 in midrange and 3 in cone tweeter if memory serves me.
    we had a crap Fisher ss amp the tx300. i am sure these would have benefitted from Fisher tube amplifcation.
    There cant have been many sold in Malaysia in the mid 60s ...
    This is a gorgeous pair
    Good luck with sale
    Thanks Shahrin they are indeed in very good condition. Incidentally the Wharfedale catalogue of the time refers to a tropical version so they may have been more common over there than you think. I wonder what the difference was...

Last edited by Lawrence001; 06-04-2019 at 13:11.

I'm Lawrence.

A gentle bump for these classic vintage speakers.

I'm Lawrence.

Someone from Singapore is getting a quote for a courier but they're still available for now.

montesquieu Guest

I had a pair of these must be 7-8 years ago now. Enjoyed them - nice combination of a big woofer and omni treble, great fun. Bargain at the asking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast