+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Wharfedale Airedale speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Tom they are a bargain, they can go for double or more this price and in shabby condition. I think the size is an issue for many. Possibly also the looks for those who favour black monoliths in their rooms, but personally I.think they look lovely.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Shane.

One man's ugly is another man's unique. I quite like their looks.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lawrence.

Now £249 collected.

I'm Grant.

if you were to recover these and such you would probably sell these for a fair bit more. that colour is pretty tired nowadays
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

The cloth is original and personally I think it's a great vintage style. The sort of things those hipsters with their expensive radiograms should be all over.

Now the capacitors have been renewed I think there's one thing left to improve the sound. The upward firing drivers are covered by a gold metallic looking material with pin prick type holes in that really don't look acoustically transparent. You have to turn the knobs up to full to get a balanced sound rather than in the middle of the range. If the gold material was replaced with a similar vintage style cloth they would really start to sing. It does look original and I know that Rank made some dodgy changes to their speaker range once the Wharfedale takeover was complete and Briggs passed away.

I don't have any time or the space to do anything to these or I wouldn't be selling them for this ridiculous price. They are currently blocking our entrance hall and an old 3 seater sofa recently replaced is taking up what space we did have in the front room. That's on ebay too...

I'm Lawrence.

I tell a lie, the wiring could do with being upgraded too. Apparently it can reap great benefits in these old Wharfedales especially in the bass.

I'm Lawrence.

Now sold and collected. Stroke of luck really. After discussing couriers and collection options with a guy from Singapore and another from Italy, someone 1/2 mile down the road spotted my ebay listing and jumped on them. He did a full frequency sweep with his phone and found no anomalies. A tip I might make use of in future.

I'm Edward.

Oh that is a shame as I was hoping to have a listen when I next come over. Oh well. I'm sure you will get another interesting set of speakers soon Lawrence.

Worth keeping this link handy when trying out different speakers.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Also useful for measuring the limits of your own ears. A few months ago my wife and I tried it. She topped out at about 12k and I topped out at about 15k. None of the daughters were around at the time but I guess they would get to ~18/20k (assuming the treble drivers are capable).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Oh that is a shame as I was hoping to have a listen when I next come over. Oh well. I'm sure you will get another interesting set of speakers soon Lawrence.

Worth keeping this link handy when trying out different speakers.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Also useful for measuring the limits of your own ears. A few months ago my wife and I tried it. She topped out at about 12k and I topped out at about 15k. None of the daughters were around at the time but I guess they would get to ~18/20k (assuming the treble drivers are capable).
    I'm not planning to get any more interesting speakers for a while now Edward. The Jordans and Celestions are good enough and I only want one pair, so after some umming and ah-ing, I went with the Celestions. But that could flip at any time!

I'm Lawrence.

I may have spoken too soon...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast