+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storing CDs

I'm Martin.

Its quite sad in a way though isnt it really. Its like you dont love them any more and they get banished to the loft with the christmas decorations and the ex wife

I must admit though that even Im starting to see the storage space I could free up if I was less bothered about having a physical disc handy

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Its quite sad in a way though isnt it really. Its like you dont love them any more and they get banished to the loft with the christmas decorations and the ex wife

I must admit though that even Im starting to see the storage space I could free up if I was less bothered about having a physical disc handy
    I'll never get this thing about storage space. If it's some collector with 50,000 albums fair enough but you can get a couple of thousand LPs and even more cds in any decent bookcase, stick it in the alcove, job done. Also damps the room down a bit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'll never get this thing about storage space. If it's some collector with 50,000 albums fair enough but you can get a couple of thousand LPs and even more cds in any decent bookcase, stick it in the alcove, job done. Also damps the room down a bit.
    Tell my other half that
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

But it's just a bookcase! Okay so it has records and CDs in instead of books. Got to be an especially fussy woman who has an issue with that surely?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Tell my other half that
    Agree - it would have to be a large alcove and a bloody big 'bookcase' to store a couple of thousand LPs. Anyway, not all rooms have alcoves, or even fireplaces for that matter.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Most women wouldn't have all that in livingroom.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

The biggest threats to CDs are excess heat, moisture and uv light. Contrary to earlier comments, UK attics can get bloody hot, particularly poorly insulated ones. I have mine in storage in the garage which has a high vaulted roof and does not get too hot in summer.

I have my (now ripped CDs) in these boxes, each of which can accommodate 93 CDs.

http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes....ox-c2x12452493

An advantage of this box is that, when full, there is very little space for air, reducing the problems of excess moisture. The design also means that each spine can be read without having to remove any disk making searching easy in case a disc needs to be re-ripped.

A large bag of silica gel in each box will stop any fungal growth and ensure that the CD inserts stay in pristine condition.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Been wondering about this for a while.......

Probably like many, I ripped my CDs to an HDD and then consigned them to the attic. Trouble is, the attic goes from being like a fridge in the winter to an oven in the summer. I've got about a thousand CDs up there, so a fair bit of moneys worth and I'd be severely dischuffed if they became somehow degraded by the temperature extremes.

Is this a real problem or can I forget about it?
    Extremes of temperature can be a problem. The solution I found was to build CD storage into the rafters which were otherwise unused.
    If you are playing CD's regularly, having them accessible is a real bonus, but I notice you have solved that by using a hard drive

Other solutions are to obtain a carousel type CD player, Sony referred to them as Mega Storage - the 555ESD for instance is 300 disc. You can then be playing the actual disc
    if you wish, and storing the cases externally, possibly less of a long term problem for the actual physical discs. https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec5/

I'm Martin.

The attic would have to reach 147 degrees centigrade before the polycarbonate would start to deform. That's unlikely to happen.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The attic would have to reach 147 degrees centigrade before the polycarbonate would start to deform. That's unlikely to happen.
    I think it is the continual change in temperatures that causes most problems. When I lived in Namibia I had a CD player in my personal car. The temperature could go from 45 degrees (or more) during to day to well below zero at night (zero cloud cover). I had a very high failure rate on disks left in the car for any length of time,

It was much better than my official car which had a cassette player. Tapes would just melt and end up about twice as long as they were when new!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast