+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storing CDs

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think it is the continual change in temperatures that causes most problems. When I lived in Namibia I had a CD player in my personal car. The temperature could go from 45 degrees (or more) during to day to well below zero at night (zero cloud cover). I had a very high failure rate on disks left in the car for any length of time,

It was much better than my official car which had a cassette player. Tapes would just melt and end up about twice as long as they were when new!
    Yup a sandwich of material shrinking and expanding at different rates can cause issues
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Got to be an especially fussy woman who has an issue with that surely?
    This!!

Wifey has a thing about 'stuff' as she calls it. Shame, as one of the first things I look at when visiting friends and rellies is books and music collection. It tells you somehing about them and is a great conversation starter (aside from me being a nosey so-and-so of course!)

Anyway, for now the attic is just about the only option so I appreciate the advise about the silicon granules to keep the moisture under control. If I combine that with some plastic boxes with a good seal it should help I guess. Luckily my attic doesn't get damp - just blimin' hot or cold depending on the season.

Cheers guys
    Last edited by Breezy; 06-04-2019 at 09:57. Reason: Spelling correction

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    This!!

Wifey has a thing about 'stuff' as she calls it. Shame, as one of the first things I look at when visiting friends and rellies is books and music collection. It tells you somehing about them and is a great conversation starter (aside from me being a nosey so-and-so of course!)

Anyway, for now the attic is just about the only option so I appreciate the advise about the silicon granules to keep the moisture under control. If I combine that with some plastic boxes with a good seal it should help I guess. Luckily my attic doesn't get damp - just blimin' hot or cold depending on the season.

Cheers guys
    It's not a question of damp (usually associated with cold and winter) but air moisture content. The potential amount of water in the air increases with temperature and in the summer many attics can seem like saunas. Any cheap hydrometer will reveal just how humid an enclosed space can get in summer. I doubt many plastic crates will keep out this moisture, but a good sized silica gel bag will mitigate the adverse effects on CD inserts. I had my vinyl in storage for nearly 20 years in plastic crates with giant silica gel bags and it is still in pristine condition.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    This!!

Wifey has a thing about 'stuff' as she calls it. )
    AKA The current fad for having houses with next to nothing in them? I suppose the plus side is you don't have 'knick-knacks' all over the place. I don't mind stuff if it serves a purpose - i.e books and records and electronic equipment. But vases, little figurines, and bits of china everywhere I can't be doing with.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

I do envy the minimalist brigade in a certain way. A room with very few things in it does endear a pure simplicity.

I am pretty much at the peak of what I can store and its getting a bit cluttered. Im slowly beginning to see that storing music on a hard drive would free up shelving. Books computer games, figures and music all rapidly eat up shelf space.

5 pairs of speakers and four amplifiers doesnt help so I must start reducing it

I dont buy masses of stuff now but it mounts up over the years. I just dont have a big enough place for all my stuff. I need a redesign and to build shelves up to the ceiling in certain areas.

I occasionally see nice ornaments and I dont have a place to put them so I must get it sorted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I do envy the minimalist brigade in a certain way. A room with very few things in it does endear a pure simplicity.
    I think it is a subconscious response to the complexity of modern life. No matter how bad it gets you can retreat to your simple, uncluttered house.

My life is very uncomplex so maybe that's why I don't feel the need?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Deleted.

CD storage issues - all you need are two things - a local charity shop and a skip on the drive - all storage/disposal bases covered - an informative leaflet will shortly be coming through your letterbox.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    an informative leaflet will shortly be coming through your letterbox.
    Print media's dead, dude.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    CD storage issues - all you need are two things - a local charity shop and a skip on the drive - all storage/disposal bases covered - an informative leaflet will shortly be coming through your letterbox.
    Yeah but I couldnt part with them. Ive got cds I havent played in 10 years...some Ive never played but I couldn't part with them. Theres good music on them...I love the little buggers but they are cluttering up my home. Im planning to play them one day

Thats the quandary Im facing. "Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can"

I'm Martin.

Buy a storage box for a couple of quid, stick 'em all in that, stick it under the bed, problem solved. John Lennon? Nothing a haircut and a shave couldn't have fixed.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast