+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Naim stuff is expensive tho. Not tried either tho
    I've had a full Naim system for over 2 years now and I've loved it but, as other peeps have said, it's maybe not ideal for driving Maggies

The one thing that I can be certain of never changing are my Maggies.... the 'last' speaker I will ever need/want... they are that good... to me anyway...

So any changes were going to be amps etc
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Bigman80 Guest

These powerful type amps do deliver silky smooth power and that's why they don't sound harsh or strained.

They have plenty in reserve and those maggies will sing because of that. Its effortlessly delivered and should provide many, many hours of fatigue free listening, which is what the Krell does here.

Smooth doesn't mean pipe and slippers, and it doesn't mean it isn't exciting. It doesn't mean a lack of transparency either. They have dynamic swing, the likes of which, other amplifiers can only dream of. They have weight and punch but best if all, IMO, is the ability to completely grip the speaker and hold it in a vice like grip in a velvet glove.

I think you've bought well. Enjoy!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    These powerful type amps do deliver silky smooth power and that's why they don't sound harsh or strained.

They have plenty in reserve and those maggies will sing because of that. Its effortlessly delivered and should provide many, many hours of fatigue free listening, which is what the Krell does here.

Smooth doesn't mean pipe and slippers, and it doesn't mean it isn't exciting. It doesn't mean a lack of transparency either. They have dynamic swing, the likes of which, other amplifiers can only dream of. They have weight and punch but best if all, IMO, is the ability to completely grip the speaker and hold it in a vice like grip in a velvet glove.

I think you've bought well. Enjoy!
    Well it's a complete departure for me Oliver... having used 8-10 watts of SET amps into sensitive speakers for years and now onto the tricky to drive Maggies and loads of watts... I've gone full circle...

Definitely the smooth sound I am hearing with the ML is not "pipe and slippers" and I'm certainly finding the sound exciting but not to the degree of sounding edgy if that makes sense...

I think your description about these type of amps gripping the speakers is how I would describe the ML with the Maggies... and velvet glove I totally 'get'..

I hope the ML will continue to surprise, and delight me, driving the Maggies.... we will see
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

As I have just lovely neighbours I am now listening at low levels... the ML doesn't seem to mind that though.... and it's still sounding good...
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    As I have just lovely neighbours I am now listening at low levels... the ML doesn't seem to mind that though.... and it's still sounding good...
    If I want to cheer the neighbours up, I just bung some military brass band marching music on with about fifty watts going through the big Tannoys. Sure makes the doors and windows rattle!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I want to cheer the neighbours up, I just bung some military brass band marching music on with about fifty watts going through the big Tannoys. Sure makes the doors and windows rattle!!
    I don't have any brass band stuff though... not quite my thing I guess...

I just love my neighbour and I'd do nothing to upset her.... love her to bits...

When I know my neighbours are not in I will definitely turn the ML up a bit...
    Bev

I'm Dennis.

I've had an admiration for ML stuff for years but never been able to afford it. They seem to be sort of parallel with Krell in massive build, but perhaps more so, very well spec'd, and highly regarded, and I've read some of the analysis of the design and it seems very thorough.

I've heard the benefits of having masses of power and high peak current capability many times, and IMO these qualities do provide grip and effortlessness.

The only experience I have had with Naim, other than my NAT1 which I use for headphones was using a NAT 250 to drive Martin Logan CLS 2s, and it kept cutting out because of the low impedance load, and I thought that the sound was just, OK. I loved the internal wiring neatness though.

I think you could well stay with that powerhouse, not all high end stuff is just hype and BS designed just to extract money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I've had an admiration for ML stuff for years but never been able to afford it. They seem to be sort of parallel with Krell in massive build, but perhaps more so, very well spec'd, and highly regarded, and I've read some of the analysis of the design and it seems very thorough.

I've heard the benefits of having masses of power and high peak current capability many times, and IMO these qualities do provide grip and effortlessness.

The only experience I have had with Naim, other than my NAT1 which I use for headphones was using a NAT 250 to drive Martin Logan CLS 2s, and they kept cutting out because of the low impedance load, and I thought that the sound was just, OK. I loved the internal wiring neatness though.

I think you could well stay with that powerhouse, not all high end stuff is just hype and BS designed just to extract money.
    Well Dennis I've not really had any admiration for ML stuff to be honest but I can honestly say it seems very well built, it's like nothing I've had before and the remote control, which I don't normally use, is all metal and heavy so it certainly gives an impression of quality

As you mention the ML does seem to provide 'grip and effortlessness' driving the Maggies

I think, like Maggies, Martin Logan's can be a tricky speaker to drive properly. I've never had the SN2 actually cut out while driving the Maggies but as many people have commented the Maggies do need a bit of oomph 'up em'....

Whether ML stuff is considered hype or BS to extract dosh from peeps I have no idea and I certainly didn't think about that when making my purchase. The only thing that decided it for me was that the 383 seemed to have enough power to possibly drive the Maggies well and, so far, that seems to be the case

At the moment I am really pleased with my ML purchase.... whether it stays or not remains to be seen...
    Bev

Bigman80 Guest

Well it's a complete departure for me Oliver... having used 8-10 watts of SET amps into sensitive speakers for years and now onto the tricky to drive Maggies and loads of watts... I've gone full circle...

Definitely the smooth sound I am hearing with the ML is not "pipe and slippers" and I'm certainly finding the sound exciting but not to the degree of sounding edgy if that makes sense...

I think your description about these type of amps gripping the speakers is how I would describe the ML with the Maggies... and velvet glove I totally 'get'..

I hope the ML will continue to surprise, and delight me, driving the Maggies.... we will see
    Egde or harshness is a distinct sign that it won't last in my system. The grain that is so often attributed to the SS amp is certainly not a factor via the Krell and seems ML has that licked too.

Fluidity and flow

That's how I describe these types of amp that I've heard. Just nothing bad about them, apart from the size of them and their demands on the National Grid.

That said, if you can somehow fit one in, and can spend a very few extra quid a year on electricity, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I don't have any brass band stuff though...
    No do I really. Guess a bit of Hawkwind might do.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast