+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well I have heard a lot of them on JBLs and that's how they come out.

And the Parasound Curl cousin in Apogees.

Failing to communicate with the locals. Whatever. Got a nice espresso Martini to contemplate. 10 Euros 50 LOL. Dark beer at 4 Euros after this one
    I can understand if that's your experience of ML gear but it's certainly not mine and you have to remember I come from a number of SET valve amps so I think I'd be quite sensitive to any upfront or forcefull/dynamic sound but I'd definitely not describe the 383 sounding anything like that, quite the opposite to be honest

Hope you enjoy your beer's...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

This discussion on the merits of the ML383 omits one essential consideration: it is being used with Magneplanar speakers rather than conventional speakers. Magneplanars present a particularly demanding load and it is rare to find an amplifier that drives them well. The discussion should reflect the obvious synergy that exists between the two components. Magneplanars can sound startlingly realistic and "alive" when driven properly, and can even deliver on bass performance. The fact that the combination "just sounds right" is testimony to this synergy.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Glad you are loving the Luxman Justin... nice one...

However I absolutely cannot agree with you about what I'm hearing of the 383's sound... I definitely would not describe the sound of the 383 as upfront and forcefully dynamic or, indeed exciting to listen to.... totally not my experience of the 383's sound at all

It does not sound upfront, forceful or that dynamic or exciting... that's not what I am hearing.... at the moment it's just sounding 'right' and very well rounded ... isn't it funny how we all hear different things in our kit?

Glad you are enjoying the German bar

However, as you said, I'm not worrying about what others might think of the ML as I'm the one that owns it and I'm loving it so far and am very happy that I purchased it
    That last line says it all Bev...

I'm not jealous of your ML amp, I'm just a bit jealous of how much you're loving it. This is what we all want from our set ups. And long may it continue!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    This discussion on the merits of the ML383 omits one essential consideration: it is being used with Magneplanar speakers rather than conventional speakers. Magneplanars present a particularly demanding load and it is rare to find an amplifier that drives them well. The discussion should reflect the obvious synergy that exists between the two components. Magneplanars can sound startlingly realistic and "alive" when driven properly, and can even deliver on bass performance. The fact that the combination "just sounds right" is testimony to this synergy.
    I think you are right there Geoff.... I really do think there is a 'synergy' going on between the ML and the Maggies and I'm loving it so far...

I really don't mind if others find the ML gear not to their liking as, after all, it's me who owns it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That last line says it all Bev...

I'm not jealous of your ML amp, I'm just a bit jealous of how much you're loving it. This is what we all want from our set ups. And long may it continue!
    Absolutely Steve.. It's how I see it

Oh and don't be jealous Steve as it's a long time since I've liked a new bit of gear as much as I like the sound of the ML, so far anyway..
    Bev

I'm Justin.

I think you are right there Geoff.... I really do think there is a 'synergy' going on between the ML and the Maggies and I'm loving it so far...

I really don't mind if others find the ML gear not to their liking as, after all, it's me who owns it
    Hey I didn't say I didn't like ML gear. The monos I heard are awesome on the right JBLs. 4367 in particular.

Whatever don't fret. Enjoy it as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Hey I didn't say I didn't like ML gear. The monos I heard are awesome on the right JBLs. 4367 in particular.

Whatever don't fret. Enjoy it as you are.
    Don't worry Justin I'm definitely not 'fretting'... everyone has their preferences in hifi gear after all
    Bev

I'm Steve.

Absolutely Steve.. It's how I see it

Oh and don't be jealous Steve as it's a long time since I've liked a new bit of gear as much as I like the sound of the ML, so far anyway..
    Not really jealous, not in my nature. Hope the new CD player will shape up as well!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Not really jealous, not in my nature. Hope the new CD player will shape up as well!
    Good o Steve...

Yes I hope the 390s will quite suit the 383. I'm really looking forward to it's arrival

Certainly the 390 looks a nice bit of kit .. and I think it was about £6k new which is just a crazy price for a cd player...
    Bev

I'm Justin.

Don't worry Justin I'm definitely not 'fretting'... everyone has their preferences in hifi gear after all
    Personal exploration territory I reckon.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast