+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm Geoff.

You could have bought a nice Harley for the dosh you've spent on Hi-Fi lately Bev.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You could have bought a nice Harley for the dosh you've spent on Hi-Fi lately Bev.
    Now it's funny you should mention that Geoff as I've been thinking of getting another bike for the summer.... maybe not a Harley but something swift....

It's only money and you can't take it with you....

Mind you if I sell the Naim stuff that'll more than pay for any recent buys...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I think what may have happened to you, is what happens to me sometimes.

Amid all the changing and scrutinising of new equipment, where we are never sure, and that it may be 'just different', sometimes there is a really shocking, unexpected and substantial change.

Our response can be; 'Hey what's going on here?', and you know that something substantial has happened, this reinforced by insights into the material with longer listening, and to material we are familiar with. Then perhaps you look at the equipment and its build, and think, 'Yes they've really applied themselves and worked at it here, this really is a move forward'.

When this happens it is a keeper for me.

Your experience of the ML amp maybe giving you an insight into ML's philosophy and integrity, (though I don't know), a no bells and whistles approach to the task of design.
    I reckon you might be onto something there Dennis

However I've not actually scrutinised the 'new equipment' as I've just left it to sort of do it's thing and appreciate what it's doing, if that makes sense... is it different than the Naim 'sound'? absolutely it is ... and I've been listening to both material I am very familiar with and stuff I don't normally play

Certainly, as you say, if I look at the new equipment and its build I do, indeed, think they have "really applied themselves and worked at it here, this really is a move forward"... certainly the ML seems to have bullet proof build quality the likes of which I've never seen before now

Whether the ML is giving me "an insight into ML's philosophy and integrity" I have no idea but I'm certainly enjoying it very much...

As you say, I think it's enough positive stuff for the ML to stay with me...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Dennis.

What I had in mind was that with a move forward, initially one can be underwhelmed, perhaps because there seems to be no exciting change. But, it is the self effacing nature, the things that it does not do, which are the can be move forward.

What I had in mind was that with a move forward, initially one can be underwhelmed, perhaps because there seems to be no exciting change. But, it is the self effacing nature, the things that it does not do, which are the can be move forward.
    Yes I totally agree with that Dennis... and certainly I'm finding that the ML does nothing 'bad'... quite the opposite to be honest...

I love the ML so far...
    Bev

It's strange the ML seems to be warmer towards it's rear but looking at internal pics the transformers are near the front of the unit... I hope this is 'normal'...

The ML doesn't get hot but certainly nice and warm after a couple of hours use...
    Bev

I'm Steve.

Little known fact: Mark Levinson originally worked as a bassist for several jazz groups. When he met jazz pianist Paul Bley for an audition, Bley asked him "Are you Levinson?" ML replied "No, I only just got here!"

Sorry about that, I don't post much on Sundays due to hangoverness
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Little known fact: Mark Levinson originally worked as a bassist for several jazz groups. When he met jazz pianist Paul Bley for an audition, Bley asked him "Are you Levinson?" ML replied "No, I only just got here!"

Sorry about that, I don't post much on Sundays due to hangoverness

You always crack me up Steve...
    Bev

I'm Dennis.

Bev, if you don't mind that slight familiarity, most of the power with an amp will be dissipated in the output transistor pairs and their heatsinks, and ideally very little in the mains transformer because it is designed to be efficient.

The maximum theoretical efficiency of Cass A output amps is about 45%, so half wasted, and 78.5% for class B ones.
    Hence with class A, a lot of heat from the heatsinks.

Bev, if you don't mind that slight familiarity, most of the power with an amp will be dissipated in the output transistor pairs and their heatsinks, and ideally very little in the mains transformer because it is designed to be efficient.

The maximum theoretical efficiency of Cass A output amps is about 45%, so half wasted, and 78.5% for class B ones.
    Hence with class A, a lot of heat from the heatsinks.
    That makes sense Dennis... thanks... certainly the transformers are not getting that warm at all...

I've also 'felt' the heatsinks (or fins if you will!) and they are not that warm. It just seems to be near the rear of the ML that is getting a little warmer than the rest of the unit
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast