+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nş383

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Mark Levinson Nş383

Thought I'd make a new listing for my 'new' amp

I've purchased the ML 383 Integrated amp and it will be delivered sometime next week

I have never been 'into' so called muscle amps but the Maggies might like it I thought

If anyone remembers I've had low powered SET amps before in the 8-10w range so this is a complete departure from the norm for me

My SN2 gives about 80w into 8 ohms and maybe about 140w into 4 ohms, if I'm lucky

As Geoff (Sherwood) has always told me, the Maggies like some oomph behind them so I thought I'd try the 383 which gives at least 200w into the 4 ohm of the .7's

The 383 is being delivered next week so I'll let you know how I get on with it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Your Maggies might like a Quad 909 Bev (at a fraction of the cost). 240w into 4 ohms and creamy smooth top end, undoubtedly good with planar speakers too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Your Maggies might like a Quad 909 Bev (at a fraction of the cost). 240w into 4 ohms and creamy smooth top end, undoubtedly good with planar speakers too.
    I know I did consider a 909 but something about the ML appealed to me..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Thought I'd make a new listing for my 'new' amp

I've purchased the ML 383 Integrated amp and it will be delivered sometime next week

I have never been 'into' so called muscle amps but the Maggies might like it I thought

If anyone remembers I've had low powered SET amps before in the 8-10w range so this is a complete departure from the norm for me

My SN2 gives about 80w into 8 ohms and maybe about 140w into 4 ohms, if I'm lucky

As Geoff (Sherwood) has always told me, the Maggies like some oomph behind them so I thought I'd try the 383 which gives at least 200w into the 4 ohm of the .7's

The 383 is being delivered next week so I'll let you know how I get on with it
    I'm sure that you will be surprised by one thing about your new amp. Even though it is significantly more powerful than your current amp (no pun intended) it will probably not sound that much louder as the Maggies just soak up power like a sponge. What should be noticeably different is the tightening up of, and greater solidity to the bass and an improvement in overall detail and dynamics. With Maggies I have found that more power improves quality of output rather than quantity. I would say that you can expect a more lifelike immediate sound with the extra "grunt" of the ML.

That sounds great Geoff thanks..

I actually wasn't expecting the new amp to sound louder, as you say the Maggies will just soak it up, but the extra 'grunt' I'm sure will help

I will keep you posted when I receive the ML...
    Bev

I'm John.

I think in general, unless you have very high sensitivity speakers, the bigger the amp the better. Bigger power supply seems to bring a sense of ease and ability to cope with whatever you throw at it. I imagine this is even more relevant to planar speakers as they are typically super low sensitivity and highly capacitive as far as I know.

I'm gone.

Excellent Stereophile review
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...plifier-page-4

I bet it will be fabulous.

Stereophile ....
    'the No.383 played with clarity, transparency, liquid mids and highs, and an ability to render dynamic contrasts second only to that of the Mark Levinson No.334. ..... the No.383 sounded powerful, fast, smooth, articulate, and dynamic—clear and in complete control. The midbass and midrange were smooth and grain-free.'

I'm Neil.

383 is a nice amp, heard it once with Revel speakers, sounded very nice. I have thought about buying one, but have yet to do so. I hope it works with your speakers.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Excellent Stereophile review
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...plifier-page-4

I bet it will be fabulous.

Stereophile ....
    'the No.383 played with clarity, transparency, liquid mids and highs, and an ability to render dynamic contrasts second only to that of the Mark Levinson No.334. ..... the No.383 sounded powerful, fast, smooth, articulate, and dynamic—clear and in complete control. The midbass and midrange were smooth and grain-free.'
    That's one of the very good reviews I read Jerry

In general the reviews where all pretty good, so we will see
    Bev

I'm gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast