+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Egde or harshness is a distinct sign that it won't last in my system. The grain that is so often attributed to the SS amp is certainly not a factor via the Krell and seems ML has that licked too.

Fluidity and flow

That's how I describe these types of amp that I've heard. Just nothing bad about them, apart from the size of them and their demands on the National Grid.

That said, if you can somehow fit one in, and can spend a very few extra quid a year on electricity, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Oliver... as you say any 'edge or harshness' just won't cut it with me... especially coming from SET valve amps that have none of that sort of thing in their sound

Fluidity and flow definitely would describe the ML sound I have

I'm really not that worried about giving SSE a little extra dosh for running the ML as I'm sure it's peanuts really..

The ML is certainly a big and heavy brute but actually that's not how it sounds and it's fitted in perfectly so far
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No do I really. Guess a bit of Hawkwind might do.
    I don't own any Hawkwind stuff...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm listening very quietly now but the sound of the ML is still coming through the Maggies... it's just nice and smooth and lovely..

Will I now sell the Naim? well time will tell I think...
    Bev

Now got some Diana Krall on quite low but it's sounding lovely...
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Egde or harshness is a distinct sign that it won't last in my system. The grain that is so often attributed to the SS amp is certainly not a factor via the Krell and seems ML has that licked too.

Fluidity and flow

That's how I describe these types of amp that I've heard. Just nothing bad about them, apart from the size of them and their demands on the National Grid.

That said, if you can somehow fit one in, and can spend a very few extra quid a year on electricity, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    That's because attributing grain or harshness to SS is as much goolies as saying that valves have smoothness. Utter goolies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Steve.

I see that most of your posts here end with "we shall see", "time will tell", etc., but I have a feeling the ML may be a keeper... I say this not from experience (of which I have none) but your descriptions of its performance (effortless, smooth, velvet glove) bode well for its future IMO, much more than if you were using words like "detailed" and "revealing".

I once heard someone advise that it's best to avoid speakers that immediately impress, they are the ones most likely to get on your wick after a time. No doubt this would apply to pretty much everything.

Is it a bit of a beast? We could do with pics of it with you stood next to it, to give an idea of scale. In your new jeans
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm gone.

I've not [yet] had any Mark Levinson amps but I have owned a 36, 37 and 39.
    ... a DAC, CD transport and integrated CD player.

The build quality on all 3 was nothing short of superb.
    The sound quality was smooth but well detailed and well organised. I've had more transparent gear, but it was pretty good in that respect and the sound had a 'sophistication' to it that is hard to describe but was very enjoyable.
    I kept the ML gear far longer than is usual for me.

... come to think of it, the 39 CDP had a volume/preamp capability as well, so I guess I have owned some ML amp gear.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    We could do with pics of it with you stood next to it, to give an idea of scale. In your new jeans
    We just need to keep chipping away Steve, otherwise it will never happen.

I'm Justin.

And then you hook a good valve amp in and everything changes...

In my opinion a good example from both camps is almost mandatory if you can manage it.

One is the antidote to the other.

The relaxed ease that some of these amps deliver is not entirely natural. The Luxman does it too.

When you listen to live music this sense of relaxed ease is almost never present.

Just saying cos it is true I think.

Glad you like it so far Bev. I will answer that PM over the weekend.

I'm gone.

I hate to agree with Justin --- but "relaxed ease" especially when combined with "smooth" -- typical class A tranny amp sound in my book. Sends me off to sleep. Real music doesn't sound like that, imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast