+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm Dennis.

Of course Justin, and that applies to all in life, but we still look for the best, and are pleased with a 'breakthrough', and in food and cars etc.

For me, in the end I get fed up with trying to get the last available 0.00000001%, and usually for a lot of money - diminishing returns.
    I would also buy all organic food if I could afford it.

I'm Justin.

I'm sure she's really pleased with it.

Cost isn't everything and the synergy my cheap Xiang Sheng DAC has just shown with the Luxman M-800a for the past few hours has been a real eyebrow raiser!

In terms of out right impressiveness in certain parameters it doesn't quite make it but in terms of overall balance it's a great match. Sounds mad but it is true. To my ears anyway.

I'm Grant.

Yup if you get the xs in a suitable system it's bloody good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Can't let you get away with that, Bev. There's something that can be criticised with everything. Every amp has a quirk or personality.

Fess up. It may take another month to really nail it but there will be a quality that isn't so appealing.

It's hi-fi and getting everything is impossible.

Indeed Justin...

However at the moment I can't criticise the sound of the ML... I know, I know that's not what you want to hear but really I can't think of anything I don't like about it's sound..

If I have to criticise anything about the ML it would be that I don't believe you should leave it switched on 24/7, like the Naim gear, so it needs a little while to warm up and come on song I guess... but that's about it at the moment.. sorry

As you say though it may well take a month or so to really get a handle on the ML's sound and then, maybe, I would have something more to say about it's sound

I will, of course, report back with any further thoughts about it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I've been a really naughty girl today and purchased an ML 390s cd player...

It's going to be delivered in the next few days

To be honest I think what I paid for it was a complete bargain if the reviews are anything to go by... we will see, as I don't always believe reviews

It's quite heavy at 23kg (shipping weight)... I've no idea what the 390 weighs by itself but that seems heavy to me for a cd player
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've been a really naughty girl today ....
    Good one Bev, hope you enjoy your purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Good one Bev, hope you enjoy your purchase
    Thanks Alan... I hope it goes well with the 383...

Just wondering if anyone has heard the 390...

I still think it's a bit naughty though...
    Bev

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Indeed Justin...

However at the moment I can't criticise the sound of the ML... I know, I know that's not what you want to hear but really I can't think of anything I don't like about it's sound..

If I have to criticise anything about the ML it would be that I don't believe you should leave it switched on 24/7, like the Naim gear, so it needs a little while to warm up and come on song I guess... but that's about it at the moment.. sorry

As you say though it may well take a month or so to really get a handle on the ML's sound and then, maybe, I would have something more to say about it's sound

I will, of course, report back with any further thoughts about it
    I think the Luxman is the best solid state amp I have come across on my speakers and I've tried truckloads.

It's a new amp, relatively, so any early conclusions are really dangerous. But I have been glued to it since I got it.

I can think of things it doesn't do that other amps do and vice versa. But it's a great blend of compromises. Very, very cleverly done, in my opinion. Nicely balanced in a very sophisticated way.

So what are its flaws?

Cost to run is higher than usual, it weighs a ton (let's go imperial), it is expensive second hand, it doesn't have the stereo separation of a pair of monoblocks, it never seems to misbehave and it's so polite in its presentation it beggars belief. It genuinely is a nice amp. Too nice? Possibly. But not by much.

The Levinsons I have heard are more upfront and forcefully dynamic. Exciting to listen to. Very much in charge or at least trying to be in charge.

That doesn't stop them from being great, but it is a description of their inherent personality. And as we all know everyone has flaws. No one is beyond criticism.

So I am still not buying it.

But don't worry about it. I am some stranger in cyberspace anyway. Glued to his mobile in a pretty great German bar...

Time to communicate with locals.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

The Levinsons I have heard are more upfront and forcefully dynamic. Exciting to listen to. Very much in charge or at least trying to be in charge.
    Glad you are loving the Luxman Justin... nice one...

However I absolutely cannot agree with you about what I'm hearing of the 383's sound... I definitely would not describe the sound of the 383 as upfront and forcefully dynamic or, indeed exciting to listen to.... totally not my experience of the 383's sound at all

It does not sound upfront, forceful or that dynamic or exciting... that's not what I am hearing.... at the moment it's just sounding 'right' and very well rounded ... isn't it funny how we all hear different things in our kit?

Glad you are enjoying the German bar

However, as you said, I'm not worrying about what others might think of the ML as I'm the one that owns it and I'm loving it so far and am very happy that I purchased it
    Bev

I'm Justin.

Well I have heard a lot of them on JBLs and that's how they come out.

And the Parasound Curl cousin on Apogees.

Failing to communicate with the locals. Whatever. Got a nice espresso Martini to contemplate. 10 Euros 50 LOL. Dark beer at 4 Euros after this one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast