+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nº383

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Mine are ML-2s, 25W pure class A; so that works out at 1.2kg/watt! They also have lifting handles front and rear, but I wouldn't want to lift/place them off the floor.

Next time you are out, look for a muscular builder and say in your best Mae West voice "do you want to come on up and listen to my hi-fi?". Failing that, as a sailing woman, commandeer a local friendly 'deck gorilla'.

Now I'm sure I can get a nice 'muscular builder' here in Portsmouth... Portsmouth is full of the 'white van man' I do have a friend that'd fit that bill actually....... but a 'deck gorilla' might be more difficult..

Can I ask if you've heard the 383 and if so what you thought ??

I'll look up the ML-2's.... what age are they ??
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mine go way back to 1977, though they were acquired somewhat more recently - within the last 10 years. I have three ML preamps and a phono stage to go with them - so yes you could say I'm a bit of a Mark Levinson fan.

I have heard more recent ML designs (sporting three-digit model numbers) at various hi-fi shows but I can't remember the exact models. I think all ML amps can drive just about anything so you ought have no problem.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Mine go way back to 1977, though they were acquired somewhat more recently - within the last 10 years. I have three ML preamps and a phono stage to go with them - so yes you could say I'm a bit of a Mark Levinson fan.

I have heard more recent ML designs (sporting three-digit model numbers) at various hi-fi shows but I can't remember the exact models. I think all ML amps can drive just about anything so you ought have no problem.
    Nice Barry...

Yes I definitely thought that the 383 might 'drive' the Maggies properly...

We will see and I will definitely report my thoughts about the ML and the Maggies....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm having to re-do my nail varnish after stabbing myself with the screwdriver... nightmare...
    Bev

I am already thinking of 'upgrading' my Naim CD5XS and Naim Dac to the ML 390S ...

There are a couple of dealers that have a 390S available....

So tempting.... but I don't know whether to purchase yet...

This is a nightmare....
    Bev

Thumb is not so poorly now...it's stopped bleeding and looks like healing ok.....
    Bev

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    That's super thanks Dave for the info

I've just finished soldering the Nakamichi spade's to the Van Damme Black speaker cable, well once my Portasol decided to worked properly that is... I also managed to put a small screwdriver through my thumb... don't ask ..... ouchy, very ouchy.. but the cable is all shrink wrapped up and ready to go

I believe ML used CZ GEL-2 cable for interconnects and there is someone on eBay that has it, NOS:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232375757....N36.S1.R1.TR2

So I might be tempted to use that and get someone to terminate some RCA's for me

I will also take a look at the Atlas cables

Of course, if I like the ML, then I will also improve the speaker cable but I'll use the Van Damme Black initially as well as borrowing the Mark Grant interconnects from Colin..

Dave do you know if the Furukawa cable/s are still available as I have a liking for anything Japanese...
    CZ Gel is not easy to work with and really designed to be used with XLR plugs. You can use Phono plugs but they need to be robust.

Furukawa was/is an enormous company making cables anything from power stations to Hi-Fi. I would imagine they are still going but I don't believe they are imported anymore.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    CZ Gel is not easy to work with and really designed to be used with XLR plugs. You can use Phono plugs but they need to be robust.

Furukawa was/is an enormous company making cables anything from power stations to Hi-Fi. I would imagine they are still going but I don't believe they are imported anymore.
    John Carrick was the importer, he went on to found Atlas, so in terms of lineage Atlas would be the contemporary choice.

Regarding speakers the 383 was often used with Revel speakers.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Exactly so. John originally came to me to sell Yfere cables but when I put them up against my old Furukawa ( which I had imported myself) it was no contest, so John decided to distribute Furukawa instead.

All being well the ML should be with me tomorrow.....

What about Furutech cables? I believe they use Furukawa in their construction
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast