+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Levinson Nș383

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I hate to agree with Justin --- but "relaxed ease" especially when combined with "smooth" -- typical class A tranny amp sound in my book. Sends me off to sleep. Real music doesn't sound like that, imo.
    The Lux is worth a listen, though. It isn't boring somehow. I trusted the Stereophile Fremer review on that.

You might not agree we'll see when you come over.

I'm gone.

I don't think I've ever seen the word smooth used so much as in that Fremer review. put me right orf, it did!
    Usually it takes me a few hours to realise that I'm just not taking much notice of the music any more with ss class A - so a brief visit may not sway me one way or the other.
    Will have a look and see when I can come over.

A guy came over to let me listen to a piece of gear he was selling.
    "You'll love it" he said "Really smooth".
    I hated it.

I'm Dave.

"Smooth" often equates to dull but the two aren't the same at all.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The Lux is worth a listen, though. It isn't boring somehow. I trusted the Stereophile Fremer review on that.

Christ that was brave!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

I don't think I've ever seen the word smooth used so much as in that Fremer review. put me right orf, it did!
    Usually it takes me a few hours to realise that I'm just not taking much notice of the music any more with ss class A - so a brief visit may not sway me one way or the other.
    Will have a look and see when I can come over.

A guy came over to let me listen to a piece of gear he was selling.
    "You'll love it" he said "Really smooth".
    I hated it.
    I'd bring it over for MBLness but it's just too friggin' heavy.

Anyway, back to the ML....

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Christ that was brave!
    True.

I kept bumping into him at Munich last year. However, I did not communicate with him.

Best, I thought

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Christ that was brave!
    I tend to like what Michael Fremer has to say. Not read anything by him for a long time though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    "Smooth" often equates to dull but the two aren't the same at all.
    Well, they can be.

I think there are two types of smooth - tonal (where the top is rolled off, which I also don't like) and dynamic (where subtle changes in level are, well, smoothed over and the music becomes laidback, less immediate, like you are hearing it from the back of a concert hall rather than nearer the stage).
    It's the dynamic smoothness that I am referring to in this thread.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    We just need to keep chipping away Steve, otherwise it will never happen.
    I'm just waiting for the injunction, prohibiting me from going within 50 metres of a keyboard...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

I hate to agree with Justin --- but "relaxed ease" especially when combined with "smooth" -- typical class A tranny amp sound in my book. Sends me off to sleep. Real music doesn't sound like that, imo.
    The logical assumption is that we are striving for our hi fi to make the music sound "real", but in my case I'm not so sure any more. I'm thinking that if I enjoy the music coming from my speakers, then sod "realism", whatever that may be! As stated on another thread (started by Gaz yesterday), live music isn't all that, most of the time.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast