+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from Surrey

I'm Martin.

Default Hi from Surrey

I have a surround system that I have been building up over the years and I use both for home theatre and Hifi. Stereo pair are PMC MB1s, IB2 centre and TB2 surrounds. Sub is a Genelec 7071A which I use purely for LFE as the main speakers have plenty of bass. I am using an Arcam AVR390 as a preamp and an array of Yamaha XP5000s as power amps. The single most significant contribution to the sound quality of my system has been extensive audio treatment of the room. I have done as much as my wife will allow me to get away with, which is quite a bit on one wall. Ideally I would do a lot more but it is also the lounge so I have had to compromise.

I have quite a wide taste in music. In the 70s I loved progressive rock and then moved on to listening to jazz rock and then jazz, but I also liked some classical, punk, new wave, pop, reggae and dance music. More recently I have enjoyed EDM and my son got me into dubstep a while back. Formative artists I have enjoyed in the past: ELP, UK, National Health, Scritti Politti, Dead Kennedys, XTC, Yello, Daft Punk, Pat Metheny, King Crimson. People that I am listening to at the moment include: Snarky Puppy, Deerhoof, Haywyre, The Go! Team, Grabbitz, Medeski Martin & Wood, Funky Knuckles, Rae Morris. Just a selection.

I find that I can enjoy pretty much any genre with a bit of listening investment. I do particularly like a nicely produced recording, whatever style it is.

Martin

I'm Phil.

welcome to aos , lived in Reigate for many years and in fact the very famous Ord Wingate attended the church i went to many years before i did in Redhill [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orde_Wingate]

and iReigate holds many happy memories . just today abandoned trying to integrate my 2 channel with my av system and separated the 2 .. problem is i have fairly powerful tannoy speakers and the centre can`t keep up with it and its very limiting trying to find amps which are suitable for home theatre bypass

great to have you martin
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. Serious speakers and amps you have there! My sort of thing.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Martin,

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Welcome Martin,

I was just thinking how similar my music tastes are to yours, until you listed some more recent bands, I have never heard of ANY of them!

I reckon the best part of your kit is your missus - if she is happy to live with those PMC monsters, she's definitely a keeper!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Hello Martin. Welcome to AOS.

There's a lot going on here, so I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in the chat, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

Hi martin,
    Fantastic speakers those, amazing scale and impact! Listening to these a few years ago forced me to reevaluate my sonic priorities. I live only a couple of miles from you, so if you feel like listening to some old school monitors you are more than welcome to hear my restored JBL 4311. Not as capable as the mighty MB1 but similarly fun!
    All the best
    Graham

+ Reply to Thread