+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone measure their cables?

I'm Paul.

Default Anyone measure their cables?

Does anyone measure their cables for the basics:- resistance, capacitance and inductance?

Might be worth it especially for the cable from TT to phono amp. I am in the process of making up a loom for a tonearm and was going to use some Van Damme Classic XKE. Two lengths of 1 metre each both cut from the same length of single cable. One measures 51pf the other 80pf...

Obviously not great for tonearm wiring...
    ~Paul~

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Cable capacitance can be a tricky thing to measure. I have measured some cables but only after termination. I have a 'jig' with RCA sockets (Neutrik) which I attach to a capacitance meter. The capacitance of the jig is measured and the value subtracted from the reading with the cable in place.

In all cases the capacitance readings obtained tally with the manufacturer's quoted figure (taking into account the geometrical tolerance of the cable), and two cables of the same length and from the same manufacturer will return similar amounts.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

I might have just been unlucky with these two lengths but good job I checked. I’ve now changed the cable to another type and both have the same capacitance. Once the loom is finished I will take some more comprehensive measurements.

I can only guess that there is something askew with the cable geometry in one of the lengths.
    ~Paul~

I'm Alex.

I measure capacitance and resistance on cables that I have made for interconnect use. Good to know that the values of each cable is identical or close to each other.

+ Reply to Thread