+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm

I'm Chip.

So a strange thing happened recently: I was getting a slight metallic sound in the high frequencies which I wasn't happy about, my assumption was that the silver Litz wiring in the series 6 was starting to settle and completely burn in as I was approaching 100 hours of use. The first thing I did was roll warmer sounding tubes into my tube phono pre and while it took a bit of the glare off, I still found it sounding too bright for my taste. The next step was to swap the IC's to an older, warmer sounding one. While it did make it sound warmer, the soundstage closed in quite a bit so I put back the more open albeit brighter sounding IC's.

Stumped, I started making inquiries and researched on what I could replace my tube phono pre with when out of curiosity, I changed the power cable (which has some 4N silver in it) to a copper power cable and 'voila' no more metallic, grating sound. Trumpets didn't assault my eardrums, and listening to JC's A Love Supreme didn't make me wince. I never thought that changing a power cable would have such a marked difference in SQ but in this case, it did. Found out the hard way that too much silver in one's system is no good, to my ears at least.
    Last edited by chipcalzada; 19-06-2019 at 07:52.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by chipcalzada View Post
    So a strange thing happened recently: I was getting a slight metallic sound in the high frequencies which I wasn't happy about, my assumption was that the silver Litz wiring in the series 6 was starting to settle and completely burn in as I was approaching 100 hours of use. The first thing I did was roll warmer sounding tubes into my tube phono pre and while it took a bit of the glare off, I still found it sounding too bright for my taste. The next step was to swap the IC's to an older, warmer sounding one. While it did make it sound warmer, the soundstage closed in quite a bit so I put back the more open albeit brighter sounding IC's.

Stumped, I started making inquiries and researched on what I could replace my tube phono pre with when out of curiosity, I changed the power cable (which has some 4N silver in it) to a copper power cable and 'voila' no more metallic, grating sound. Trumpets didn't assault my eardrums, and listening to JC's A Love Supreme didn't make me wince. I never thought that changing a power cable would have such a marked difference in SQ but in this case, it did. Found out the hard way that too much silver in one's system is no good, to my ears at least.
    I also agree with this.....you can have too much silver in I/C and speaker cable etc.
    There are some obs........the silver must be of the highest quality and therefore expensive
    My experience was that I acquired some Yter speaker cable with great results and the thought that the same make I/C would enhance.
    It took a long time to settle but turned out too bright and lost some of it's musicality.
    So back to my trusty Cardas GC I/C .........problem solved
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Chip.

I'm just glad that I had a spare copper power cable lying around, someone was already willing to buy my phono pre and I think I would've sorely regretted it if I had let it go.

I'm shawn.

No sooner did I get the 6 mounted on my Ariston than the Valab LCR decided to act up. Had to ship it back to Taiwan for some rehab so have been w/o vinyl for about 3 wks now. However, I've been adding to the vinyl stack in earnest the last couple of weeks so will get plenty of listening in when the pre returns:

New:
    Ellington - Blues In Orbit - Classic Records 4x45 rpm lps
    Eva Cassidy - Nightbird - Blix Street Records 7x45 rpm lps
    Earl Wild - Copland & Menotti - Analogue Productions
    King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - 200gm Reissue on Discipline Global Mobile (Guitarist Robert Fripp's label)

New to me:
    Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions of Japan - Columbia -VG+ orig press
    Jackie McLean-Swing Swang Swingin'-Blue Note/Music Matters-ST-45rpm-2 LPs - NM

Plan on capping it off with a new Hana ML as soon as funds allow. Been an expensive year so far.
    Last edited by shawnwes; 21-06-2019 at 04:06.

I'm Chip.

Shawn I've heard nothing but good things about the Hana ML, I met someone recently who has it and he said he made the move from the Hana SL to the ML and the difference is night and day.

I'm shawn.

Thanks Chip.

I can't wait to get my phono pre back from Valab and start spinning some vinyl again. I just ordered a bunch more of the Blue Note Tone Poet recordings & they should arrive in 1-2 weeks so have alot to catch up on.

I'm Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnwes View Post
    Thanks Chip.

I can't wait to get my phono pre back from Valab and start spinning some vinyl again. I just ordered a bunch more of the Blue Note Tone Poet recordings & they should arrive in 1-2 weeks so have alot to catch up on.
    Hi Shawn did you get your phono pre back? Want to know if I'm the only one experiencing the metallic bright sound. I read somewhere someone with a series 5 had issues with the silver litz wiring and opted for the copper wiring instead. Wondering if I should have opted for the copper wiring vs silver, I feel like I'm lacking some synergy at the moment.

I'm Russell.

As usual I’m late coming into this thread. But wow that’s a good looking arm for that price! The lift lever looks fine to me, as long as it lifts. It is the one piece that is not involved in playback. So as long as it has a smooth action, it’s all good.

I like the looks of it better, and it seems to have more features and adjustments than my VPI arm, at half the price!

Russell

I'm mark.

Until recently I had AM V with silver litz, no problem with bright metallic sound but did find bass performance needed to be tuned with extra weights at the headshell. The more weight, the better the bass got. (Primarily with AT MC's)

I'm Chip.

Thank you for the suggestion. Will try adding more weight, the bass is on the lean side as I’m using an AT MC.
    Last edited by chipcalzada; 01-07-2019 at 12:26.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast