+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm

I'm Chip.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    So as some of you know my Audiomods Series 5 micrometer arm was a casualty of NEBO 10, basically it was damaged in transport because of my stupidity and the collar barring at the pivot was pulled out. Thankfully after speaking to Jeff it seems to be an easy fix, so these arms are incredibly sturdy and a testament to Jeffs craftsmanship. While on the phone to Jeff discussing the fix he suggested an upgrade to a series 6, i told him i preferred the look of the series 5 but if it wasn't too expensive and there was a sonic improvement i'd be interested, £175 + postage it would be rude not to wouldn't it?
    Yes it would! Congratulations in advance.

I'm Mike.

Cheers Chip, i wasn't planning on this upgrade just yet, it was the way you attach the cartridge that actually swung it, the fixed head on the series 5 with the ART 9 meant that you needed 3 arms and nerves of steel when fitting it, the series 6 seems a lot easier.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Chip.

My former tonearm was a Rega so I know what you mean. Someone from another forum recently upgraded his V to the VI and said that there was a significant change in the sound signature:

The VI sounds ultra clean, smooth and absolutely uncoloured which subjectively at first made me think that bass had reduced because the midrange sounded so different & I was focusing on that (....needed to play several tracks against both 1200G and digital versions to check this out and bass is not lacking at all).

What there is though is a very light and delicate 'sophisticated' (again) overall sound to midrange/treble. A VERY analogue sound, more than the 1200G which incidentally I also like VERY much (I'm someone that regards properly setup & very carefully aligned turntables as being different but never use the word 'better' in the same way as a blonde isn't 'better' than a brunette or one type of food vs another etc). I have five turntables but use these two almost equally, love them both.

Comments above are based on playing only nine LPs so far - though several of these are what I consider 'challenging' listening or challenging to the cartridge. Nevertheless the above observations hold true for all of them so I'm pretty confident in what I say.

So, in my system definitely a positive upgrade from the V and at around £200 delivered back in 2 weeks, quite a steal.

I'm Mike.

Jeff did say that the Rega arm tube coloured the sound somewhat and the series 6 arm tube gives the tonearm a neutral presentation basically letting the cartridge shine, colouration isn't a bad thing though as it can mask some unpleasant tendencies making a cartridge sound less bright for instance, i guess i'll see if i like the upgrade when i get the arm back.

I'm Frederick.

Hello Chip,

There was a post about the Series VI arm in another forum weeks ago but with limited info and just a single photo.. So thanks for sharing your experience and photos with this arm here.. It might be something different to try with an idler-drive for me down the road (if I ever get to overhaul my old Thorens.)

BTW, did you get your 1200G from abroad? I can’t seem to find a dealer in the Philippines for the recent Technics line up, specifically the 1200GR.

I'm Chip.

Hi Rick! Kamusta? I don’t have a Technics 1200G and you’re right there’s no local dealer here, I too was interested in the GR before I went for a vintage table. I think you confused me with the fellow that wrote that review as I just copy pasted it from another forum. Sorry about the mix up!

I'm Frederick.

Oh, thanks Chip! Yeah, I misread, I didn’t realize you were quoting someone else.. You still have a cool new toy though, quite similar to a Tri-Planar without the price tag to match.. The 10.5” version would look slick on an SP-10 Mk2 set up.

Yeah, pity about the no dealer for Technics here. Thanks again, and take care in this weather..

I'm Chip.

Thank you! I was choosing between the series VI and an SME tonearm, in the end I went with my gut and I'm glad I chose the series VI. It certainly performs beyond its price tag. Stay safe!

I'm Mike.

Well i've got the arm back, and over all i couldn't be happier, things i like:

1. Anti skate is much better and easier to set up
    2. mounting cartridges is far easier
    3. i didn't expect much of a sonic difference but the series 6 is a clear step up from the 5

Things i don't like:

1. the finger lift looks a little ungainly although in use it's very good
    2. overall i prefer the look of the 5

so summing everything up it's a winner.

I'm Panos.

Hi Mark,

I had exactly the same experience with my modified Denon DL-103R. With the addition of the shim on the headshell, the bass was significantly improved. I am now wondering whether I should upgrade my Series 5 to Series 6...

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg
    Last edited by pankon; 07-09-2019 at 20:09.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast