+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed: Garrard 401 speed problem

I'm Al.

Question Help needed: Garrard 401 speed problem

I've had my 401 for 20+ years without any trouble at all. For the last week or two, I've been playing only 78s but decided to play some 45s today - however, when I changed the speed selector to 45, it still played at 78. So - 33 plays at 33, 78 plays at 78 but 45 plays at 78. I've done nothing else to the 401 apart from change the speed. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem - and how it might be fixed?

I'm Adam.

How is the idler positioned with respect to each step on the pulley when you operate the speed selector? It should be nicely central on each speed and it might just be a case of loosening the pulley and adjusting it’s position on the rotor shaft.

As to why it’s changed recently, it might be time for a cleanup of the old grease and applying some fresh stuff.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Andre.

Sounds like it between steps or slightly off step like beo says.. nothing else it can be really if the other speeds play ok

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Wot they sed ^. Sounds like it's time to service the deck - plenty How To's on line.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Al.

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I have visual impairments and so any dismantling/maintenance is really beyond me.

I'd love to find somebody who I could pay to do this kind of work on my turntables (301 and 401) so if anyone can suggest anyone, I'd be very grateful. Since I don't drive any more, I would prefer to find someone in south London/north Kent. (I know about companies like Loricraft, Classic Turntable Co and Northwest Audio but I don't think either of my turntables needs a £500 rebuild.)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRecordLover View Post
    Thank you for the advice, everyone. I have visual impairments and so any dismantling/maintenance is really beyond me.

I'd love to find somebody who I could pay to do this kind of work on my turntables (301 and 401) so if anyone can suggest anyone, I'd be very grateful. Since I don't drive any more, I would prefer to find someone in south London/north Kent. (I know about companies like Loricraft, Classic Turntable Co and Northwest Audio but I don't think either of my turntables needs a £500 rebuild.)
    Loricraft as a company no longer exists, SME took them over. They no longer do work on old Garrard's as Loricraft did, so Audio Grail, CTC and NA are the only remaining choices, or a kind forum member.
    Regards Neil

I'm Al.

Thanks, Neil. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for "kindness" - I'd just like to find someone I could pay to do the sort of routine maintenance suggested by Ali Tait and Beobloke (rather than a complete rebuild). Years ago, I'd have taken it to my local hi-fi shop (Francis in Streatham, RIP) and their engineer would have done the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Wot they sed ^. Sounds like it's time to service the deck - plenty How To's on line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    ...it might just be a case of loosening the pulley and adjusting it’s position on the rotor shaft.

As to why it’s changed recently, it might be time for a cleanup of the old grease and applying some fresh stuff.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If I was nearer I'd do it for you, but I'm oop norf.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRecordLover View Post
    Thanks, Neil. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for "kindness" - I'd just like to find someone I could pay to do the sort of routine maintenance suggested by Ali Tait and Beobloke (rather than a complete rebuild). Years ago, I'd have taken it to my local hi-fi shop (Francis in Streatham, RIP) and their engineer would have done the work.
    Surely there is someone in this community located in South London who can help sort Al out..?
    Where exactly are you located Al (I know you say you are local to Streatham)
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Surely there is someone in this community located in South London who can help sort Al out..?
    Where exactly are you located Al (I know you say you are local to Streatham)
    Thanks, Adam - I'm in Catford (SE6) but can get the turntable to most places in south London by taxi. I've asked my local hi-fi shop but they won't touch vintage equipment, sadly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast