+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Types of Tannoy Arden's...

I'm sorted.

I paid slightly more than half that for mine & the cone surrounds had been replaced.

I'm Martin.

Buy some drivers and crossovers and get the cabs built. Works out cheaper. Think Cooky might still have a set and they are ready to go, already re-foamed.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Buy some drivers and crossovers and get the cabs built. Works out cheaper. Think Cooky might still have a set and they are ready to go, already re-foamed.
    Good shout....cooky's Aos name pls?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Cooky.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm sorted.

Cooky.
    He doesn't appear to have logged on to the forum since November last year. I messaged him with a question about the drivers he still had last month but nothing heard. Are you in touch with him via other methods Martin?

I'm Martin.

I'll see if I still have his e-mail. He is on PFM still I think.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm sorted.

I'll see if I still have his e-mail. He is on PFM still I think.
    Thanks Martin.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've owned the original Cheviots and Devons with the round 12" HPD alnico drivers and currently have the Cheviot Mk.II with the 'quartic' 12" 3128 units with the ceramic magnets. I find the Mk.II sounds better.

I also had the earlier and similar sized Chatsworths with 12 Monitor Gold (rubber surround type) and although they were preferable to the HPD, they weren't as good as the 3128 Cheviot Mk.II.

I think 'good' here is entirely dependent on the cabinet the drive units are in and the age/quality of the crossovers deployed. I don't think there are any absolutes here.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I think 'good' here is entirely dependent on the cabinet the drive units are in and the age/quality of the crossovers deployed. I don't think there are any absolutes here.
    Also, IME individual Tannoy drivers from the same stable can vary so much in performance that it's impossible to categorically state which variant is objectively superior let alone subjectively superior. I've owned multiple pairs of MG15, MG12, HPD315, etc, over the years and there were 'good' and 'not-so-good' examples amongst all of these models. I think a lot of it is to do with the condition and alignment of the DC throat and HF diaphragm. Not so long ago I bought a pair of minty MG12s with brand new HF units fitted from a reputed Tannoy seller on eBay, and the frequency response and left-right pair matching was far inferior to that of my incumbent MGs.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm Steve.

It's can be tricky, rarely such a thing as a matched pair the farther back you go.

My take on the history is :-

After Golds the HPD with 8 mounting hole basket was next. Same buff colour 2 box XO.
    Then came a 4 hole basket and a single black sandwich XO unit.
    Arden's and Berkeleys had these.
    Some may have had 8 hole baskets too.

After the move to Scotland some of the peppar pot tweeter drillings were not very good. These are quite rare though..

The 'quartic' drivers came next with 3238 or 3228 numbering (can't remember which came first or exact deployment). These had the black sandwich type XO.
    Arden's and Berkeleys also had these installed.
    I had a pair of Berkeleys with these and also a pair of 8 hole HPDs (bought from Cooky if memory serves)

I since had Golds & Reds too, some with various aftermarket XOs.
    Even a pair of BTH 18" dual concentrics with double square horn tweeter. They were special!

Great drivers all of them.

As Montesquieu says, cab construction makes or breaks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 13-04-2019 at 12:28.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12