+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avro Lancaster East Kirkby

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yes you are quite right, there would be some great photo's to be had there but access is very limited. We live just a stones throw from the site of RAF Grimsby slightly over towards the coast and that old airfield gives loads of dramatic photo's. Also of course RAF North Cotes remains are less than two miles for us. Lovin' it
    Never heard of RAF Grimsby. I know Donna Nook but that's just a bombing range I think.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Like the digital manipulating - got just the right look like it was taken with colour film in the 1940s ?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

We used to go watch the display at RAF Leuchars, my dad knew the local farmer so we just sat in the field looking straight down the runway.

Trees at the back of us meant that jets doing a flypast down the runway roared out of nowhere at VERY low level over our heads, awesome, pity it's now an army base

This is all I could fit in the frame of the Lancaster as it came over ( 500mm lens )

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    We used to go watch the display at RAF Leuchars
    When I was a lad, I was there when a Lightning did a supersonic boom right above us at 500 feet. That was something!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    When I was a lad, I was there when a Lightning did a supersonic boom right above us at 500 feet. That was something!
    It sure was, that and the Widow Makers were a sight AND sound to behold

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Never heard of RAF Grimsby. I know Donna Nook but that's just a bombing range I think.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    RAF Grimsby was a Lancaster base on the very edge of the A16. In the early 1970's they ploughed a huge bypass road over the edge of the airfield. It started life as a Civil Air Guard airfield between the two wars flying Hawker Hinds and Miles Magisters before being taken over by the RAF. It is close to the village of Waltham but was officially RAF Grimsby.

I'm Shaun.

Fantastic memories. Through the 70's and 80's I used to spend lots of time shading under a fishing brolly at RAF Binbrook watching and photographing the last of the World's three Lightning squadrons. Must be an age thing because those summers were so bloody sunny and hot and so much fun and happiness. I remember the Lightnings when they were in unpainted silver aluminium and then painted green/grey camo but my favourite was the two tone grey finish. Absolutely amazing times really.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I'm fairly sure that at some point in this aircraft's life it used to be the gate guardian at RAF Scampton up here in Lincolnshire. I have a memory from the 70's of it being at the main gate surrounded by an Upkeep bomb as well as a Tallboy and Grand Slam type. Always did wonder where the hell it disappeared to.
    How right you are Shaun !! I knew about the Brothers buying her ,but had thought they did that much further back in time !!
    Heres a history of 'Just Jane' https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/hist...-lancaster.htm
    You were lucky living in 'bomber country '!!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Shaun.

Oh cheers for the link mate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12