+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do I replace my tonearm

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    As the Nima that you curently have is a unipivot moving to a more expensive gimbal bearing tonearm will give you more in someways but also less in other ways. You may find that bass is better defined, if you match the arm and cartridge well, but you may feel that in other areas you loose something.

As Barry said there is nothing to stop you dding mass to the headshell but also there is an option to add mass to the bearing assembly as well. This is quite easy to do on a Nima as the bearing cup has a flat top. Might be worth experimenting a little with adding mass to the Nima as it might give you some idea of which direction to go in with he new purchase.
    Nima is a good arm, but better suited I think to a non suspension, or stiff suspension TT, the PT1 is very wobbly re suspension.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

My thought is SME 309 or 4, which back in the day were the go to choices.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Nima is a good arm, but better suited I think to a non suspension, or stiff suspension TT, the PT1 is very wobbly re suspension.
    Having recently set up a couple of Nima arms on LP12 turntables with expensive MCs, I agree wholeheartedly. Like a load of jelly on a bouncy bed - no fun at all.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    My thought is SME 309 or 4, which back in the day were the go to choices.
    +1 and as my very experienced dealer friend said SME 4 works best on PT with Koetsu Red
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

I've just read of all the advice and suggestions a number of you have made regarding possible replacements for the Nima. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, I appreciate your help.
    I suppose now I need to narrow the field somewhat and try to listen to some of these arms. I can have arm boards fabricated by Charles at Truepoint so I'm not limited to one particular geometry such as Rega. I can't consider any arm over stock 9-10 inch length. Shame I missed the Audionote that was for sale but I might have been tempted to buy it without enough thought.
    I'm going to try and post a picture of my deck a bit later- just to see how it's done and show off my old PT1.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Chris.

Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.

I'm Chris.

That seems to have worked- not free anymore though!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234