+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AT33PTG and VTA

MartinT Guest

Default AT33PTG and VTA

I had a bit of a revelation last night, due to having received a larger Herbies mat to sit on top of my copper mat on the SL-1210. I wanted the larger 295mm diameter to dampen all of its surface, rather than the 285mm version cut for the Techie platter.

Anyway, I was about to readjust the arm's VTA when I thought I'd just take a listen first. The sub-arm on my Dynavector is just slightly nose down and, in this configuration, everything sounded more focused and well positioned in the soundstage and I swear the dynamics were punchier too. Previously I had set VTA with the headshell exactly level and this proves not to create the best sound. The difference is very small, only a degree or two at the most.

So I wondered what VTA setting other AT33PTG users have (and on which arm), and whether you have experimented with different settings?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Seriously, it will vary from cartridge to cartridge by a tiny amount and also, one tenth of a gramme difference in tracking weight will slightly change VTA as well.

Micro-Line style tips can be a nightmare to get properly set, but should geive superior results once set correctly.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Martin - I shall have a play with my AT33PTG later on and let you know what works best for me. Like you, I have the cartridge running at 1.85g VTF and set bang on level. My Ortofon 2M Black was definitely more dynamic sounding when set slightly tail-up.

I'm Adam.

Some Ortofons do generally seem to benefit from being set up a little 'arse-aloft'. I had the same issue with my recent Kontrapunkt b acquisition - definitely a bit dull until I hoiked the arm pillar up a few millimetres.

Sadly, the bearing housing now crashes into the lid when I close it - swings and roundabouts.....
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Take the tracking weight down 1/10 gramme instead and see if that works.....?

My MC30 Super seems to like the arm level with 1.8g. Lifting the arm (on a former sample on an LP12/Ittok) just detached the treble and retained the plump bass. This current one doesn't suffer the bass problem and the treble is as sweet as a nut, even in the deck I'm using.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread