+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital replay. Have I experienced an epiphany, or just a healthy dose of reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

Mine isn't the Duet, it's the Mini-DAC. Unfortunately the exchange rates are not brilliant and the Mini-DAC retails at £1k (although I paid less for mine ), still a freakin' bargain though!
    I would think that with the dollar in the toilet, the exchange rate would be looking pretty good. The Duet is gorgeous minimalist art and is reported to sound great. A part of me really wants one. Another part (the cheap part) doesn't need the functionality, just wants to use rips of Redbook CDs anyway and figures upsampling is dubious...

Tim

I'm Steve.

Brilliant thread chaps.
    Especially when its free of the diatribes we have had recently.
    Really makes me want to investigate and experiment further. Just what these forums should do.
    Thankyou.

I'm Neal.

Well...like it or loathe it the message may have been put in a much more palatable for audiophile way but it's still the same message that certain banned members have been spouting on here and elsewhere.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarney View Post
    Howard, I'm assuming that when you play music from your Mac that you are running it through an outboard DAC? And given your profession and experience I would further assume that it is at least as good as Filterlab's Duet
    Tim
    Err, no. Just the bog-standard, on-board, as supplied, Apple DAC! Sorry to disappoint you guys.

Spare a passing though for me thought as the retailer if you'd be so kind. Imagine what I'm going through, as the weeks go by, as the realisation of what’s happening starts to set in. Just as well that I haven't sold a CD player for a few weeks. Not sure my conscience could take it.

Business on the other gear is very good indeed though. Fortunately.

I'm Howard.

Stereonow has not just bitten the bullet, but has swallowed it too!

Hmm. What a night it’s been. Since I posed the question earlier tonight on this forum, I have taken careful note of the replies. Thank you all.

I’ve phoned a few customers and considered the thoughts of a few forum members who have contacted me directly and privately. And then I spoke to my two sons; both over 30 and at the entry level age for my target market. They’ve both grown up in a house littered with actual and close to state-of-the-art audio systems. They can’t see the point of stand-alone audiophile digital replay devices. And they haven’t done for years. And they think I'm bonkers to continue with that type of product.

So – no more self delusion! And so as of tonight, I'm going to be just a loudspeaker (Harbeth), vinyl (Funk), amplifier (LFD) and power cleansing (PS Audio) retailer. No more digital replay devices on sale. Just one, a good one, for demo purposes only. Might even look for a brilliant but cheap Accuphase on the German e-Bay site. Much cheaper than the ‘UK-As-Treasure-Island” UK retail prices!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ws/search/S...fcl=3&frpp=200

Henceforth I’ll be advising my customers as to which “Previously cherished” CD machines can be bought from e-Bay to match the LFD/Harbeth combinations they have bought and will continue to buy from me.

I'm very happy with this decision.

My thanks to all of you who have overtly and covertly provided me with the material on which I’ve been able to base my decision.

Sincerely

HP.
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 30-05-2008 at 07:03.
    Well, hello.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I have found the iMac output specifications for the optical output:

During playback of a 1KHz, full-scale sine wave (S/PDIF output format, 44.1KHz output sample rate, 24-bit sample depth, unless otherwise specified) the digital audio output has the following nominal specifications:

Jack Type: 3.5mm Optical Jack
    Output Data Formats: S/PDIF (IEC60958-3), AC3
    Output Sample Rates: 32KHz, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 64KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz
    Bits per Sample: 16 or 24 (S/PDIF),16 (AC3)
    Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20KHz, +/-0dB
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): >130dB
    Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N): <-130dB (0.00003%)
    Channel Separation: >130dB

Good specs.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck (Stereonow) View Post
    Err, no. Just the bog-standard, on-board, as supplied, Apple DAC! Sorry to disappoint you guys.

Spare a passing though for me thought as the retailer if you'd be so kind. Imagine what I'm going through, as the weeks go by, as the realisation of what’s happening starts to set in. Just as well that I haven't sold a CD player for a few weeks. Not sure my conscience could take it.

Business on the other gear is very good indeed though. Fortunately.
    Well, I'm a little surprised, but not shocked. The sonics coming out of my aging iBook G4 are surprisingly good. And quite quiet. I really only got the processing out of the Mac because I thought I was supposed to, to tell the truth, and when I did, I got a bit of clarity, I think, but I suspect that was some warmth built into the output stage of the Mac, not its DAC. And then I also figured maybe the rest of my system just wasn't resolving enough to show the difference. It was Mac>70s Harman Kardon integrated (A-402)>Senn HD580s.

Be careful who you talk to about this, Howard. You could completely blow your audiophile credentials.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Well...like it or loathe it the message may have been put in a much more palatable for audiophile way but it's still the same message that certain banned members have been spouting on here and elsewhere.
    The new kid is clueless. Do tell.

Tim

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Th same message in terms of computer music is the way of the future...just not the same execution of that message.The words bull and china shops spring to mind.
    tfarney..the banned chap(s) were fervent supporters of adm9's. No problem in that, just hijacked every thread in support of the 'cause'. Funnily enough, its still my intention to get a pair ..
    I too use an ageing G4 powerbook..mini jack out from the audio out. I don't think this machine has optical.Plus an airport express into my kitchen system which picks up the itunes library from the same machine. Sounds pretty good in those secondary systems..but now looking to get something into the main one...hence the interest.

I'm Steve.

Hi Howard
    Just amazing how quickly the change in music replay is happening.
    Can't blame you for your decision. Ahead of the field I'd say. Woolies have pulled out of CD singles. How long before CD albums disappear from the hi street.

Can I ask you a question though...If you won't be selling CD players, will you be also looking into selling streaming devices? or using them to compliment your cd demo machines?

cheers

Steve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast