+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valve based headphone amplifier recommendations

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    As you are not that far away you would be most welcome to come and listen to mine and bring your own HP
    Hi Martin,
    That is a very kind offer, thank you.
    I've waded through this comprehensive list.... https://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3753.... of valve based amplifiers, and then chased reviews of the ones within my budget....and the conclusion is I am unlikely to find anything worthwhile that is affordable for me, so unless I win the lottery (and I don't gamble at all), I shall have to be content with my Burson.... not so much of a hardship tbf!

Thanks again.

I'm Lawrence.

May I ask, why did you rule out the little dot and bottlehead crack?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    May I ask, why did you rule out the little dot and bottlehead crack?

Hi Lawrence,
    I haven't ruled those two out specifically, I've cooled on the idea of a valve based headphone amp.

I'm Lawrence.

I wouldn't give up just yet the 6xx can be sublime with a good valve amp. If you get one second hand for a good price you can pass it on at no loss. It's always worth doing some valve rolling before giving up on an amp though.

I now use a Eufonika amp from Poland, it's similar to a crack with the speedball upgrade. Stunning, but I prefer the 650 with it for a bit more warmth

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I wouldn't give up just yet the 6xx can be sublime with a good valve amp. If you get one second hand for a good price you can pass it on at no loss. It's always worth doing some valve rolling before giving up on an amp though.

I now use a Eufonika amp from Poland, it's similar to a crack with the speedball upgrade. Stunning, but I prefer the 650 with it for a bit more warmth

Hi Lawrence,

Is it the H7 model you have? That seems close to the bottlehead crack layout, and it looks like it has four chokes in the power supply which bodes well, has it got a quiet background? Seems like a good piece of kit for the money.

I'm Lawrence.

Yes I haven't used it for a while but I don't recall any noise whatsoever. After all I said, I'm currently driving a pair of Hifiman HE6 with a 1000wpc class D amp

I tend to switch things around every couple of months for a change. My other goto pair are HD560 Ovations which also work well with the Eufonika. And the HD650s with a Lehmann Black Cube clone (lovely cube) or my little dot Mk3. Sold both my Mk4SE and spare Mk3 the other month as I had too much gear.

I'm Mike.

There is a Serbian amp, whose name escapes me, which is thoroughly recommended with Senns. Two years ago I went through exhaustive research into both valved and class A units for my 650s and short-listed 3. A Teac, HA???, Beyer and this Serbian one. I ended up with a Myryad Z40 NOS class A being sold off cheaply, and haven't regretted a thing. Others who have or do use this very versatile amp sing from the same hymn-book. They do pop up on eBay on occasion for around £100. 4 inputs, 1 output, 2 x gain, 20 min. stand-by function if no signal and 2 h/ph. jack inputs.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    There is a Serbian amp, whose name escapes me, which is thoroughly recommended with Senns. Two years ago I went through exhaustive research into both valved and class A units for my 650s and short-listed 3. A Teac, HA???, Beyer and this Serbian one. I ended up with a Myryad Z40 NOS class A being sold off cheaply, and haven't regretted a thing. Others who have or do use this very versatile amp sing from the same hymn-book. They do pop up on eBay on occasion for around £100. 4 inputs, 1 output, 2 x gain, 20 min. stand-by function if no signal and 2 h/ph. jack inputs.
    Hi Mike,

There are three Serbian headphone amplifier manufacturers, Auris audio, Trafomatic and Solaja audio listed on hoved-fi.

I saw the Myriad amp being advertised and at the time thought it was too good to be true, ....he who dares wins eh?

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm Stefan.

I use a Little Dot MkIV SE with Siemens C3g as input valves and alternating 6SN7 as output valves. (At the moment one Brimar 6SN7 and one Melz 6N8S/6H8C). These valves need adapters but the SQ is very much better than with original valves and their equivalents. There is no background noise whatsoever. Dead silent. I listen via Sennheiser HD650.

These tubes also work with Little Dot Mk III but I got my amp at a good price as second hand. I have tried a lot of valves but these do me very good. They don't 'beautify' the music. I listen to a lot of acoustical music as well as 'electrically bettered' .

C3g and 6SN7 are considered 'end game tubes' on the HeadFi 'Little Dot tube rolling thread'. Next step is separate filament supply to use valves like 6080 and equivalents as output valves. They are outside of what the amp can safely handle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123