+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve based headphone amplifier recommendations

I'm Rob.

Default Valve based headphone amplifier recommendations

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a valve based headphone amplifier that does not hum with mains frequency?

I tried a Icon audio HP8 MK2 recently, liked the presentation but not the mains hum, albeit the hum was very faint but noticeable through my sennheiser HD600's.

I have a Burson Soloist SL MK2 and it has a silent background and a neutral detailed presentation that I'm very happy with, but you know how it is, I keep wondering if the grass is really greener....?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

I'm Grant.

if you have one that doesnt your in luck. most ive tried you get a little. prefer ss for headphones. after saying that the XS dac head amp is fairly hum free
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if you have one that doesnt your in luck. most ive tried you get a little. prefer ss for headphones. after saying that the XS dac head amp is fairly hum free
    If that is the case Grant, you have saved me some money because I can't live with mains hum in my ears!

I guess DC heater supply and choke filtering is expensive to implement if that's what's needed.

I'm Richard.

No hum with my Bottlehead Crack.

I'm Alan.

Hi Rob, I have one of these original PCL805 OTL headphone amplifiers from an article published in 1984.

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Vers.../PCL805-KH.htm

The performance is stunning, it took a couple of tweaks to perfect and as built the gain is very high but there is a way to reduce this successfully.
    Be aware there is an error in the published circuit diagram.

The end of the article states 'This amp is still offered today (of course, with some improvements) at Audiovalve under the name RKV Mark II' .
    The price of the Audiovalve units is quite prohibitive imo.

I'm Rob.

Thanks Richard, good to know. What cans are you using with the crack?
    I've read they are a match made in heaven with hd600's.

I'm Rob.

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the link. I will read with interest.
    I've seen the Audiovalve gear, ....expensive!

I'm Shane.

Schiit Valhalla 2 is a nice match with 600's.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm colum.

I have a EAR HP4 and no hum at all, used with HD800.

I'm Richard.

I use the HD600 or the DT1990 with the Crack (speedballed). They make a nice noise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast