+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nooo...! My cleaner killed my cartridge :(

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Cleaner didn't even know she'd done it to be fair.
    That's even worse! Does seem to me it's a case of 'Even though I've been specifically told not to I'm going to cock about by this really expensive-looking equipment without paying a blind bit of attention to what I'm doing.'

It's unforgivable really. But I suppose if she's skint you can't get blood out of a stone. And you could sack her but the new one might be even worse. Swap your expensive interconnects around for freebie leads and leave you to discover it to your horror at some indeterminate point in the future.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

We still don't know IF the cleaner was told not to, the op doesn't state he specifically told the cleaner, were only assuming he did.

She might/should have insurance so claim that way, the cleaner might happily pay the repair anyway.

So many assumptions being made in this thread, but then again that's not unusual these days.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's even worse! Does seem to me it's a case of 'Even though I've been specifically told not to I'm going to cock about by this really expensive-looking equipment without paying a blind bit of attention to what I'm doing.'

It's unforgivable really.
    Nail > head.

Glad to see someone else lives in the real world!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Where does it say THE CLEANER was told?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nail > head.

Glad to see someone else lives in the real world!

Marco.
    I assume ( which is the wrong thing to to do considering my last comment lol )

But you can be a right arse at times.

Ops post doesn't say that her told the cleaner specifically, you're taking it that he did, I read it that he could mean others in the family ( again an assumption that he has any ), I suppose it's all down to interpretation of what was said, but I always look at comments like the op and think what would the law say, think any half witted lawyer could tear holes in that one.

Mind you that would only last until they then asked IF he meant he had told the cleaner, but going on that OP it could be one way or the other.

This is my opinion of course which I assume ( there's that word again lol ) I am allowed to have so be it if you don't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure I live in the real world too

I'm Joe.

In the real world, if I was told I'd be docked a part of my wages to the tune of £750 odd, I'd no longer be under the employ of the owner. That'd possibly push them under the minimum wage unless you took £1 a week, dependent on how many hours a week they worked at that house.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I assume ( which is the wrong thing to to do considering my last comment lol )

But you can be a right arse at times.

Ops post doesn't say that her told the cleaner specifically, you're taking it that he did, I read it that he could mean others in the family ( again an assumption that he has any ), I suppose it's all down to interpretation of what was said, but I always look at comments like the op and think what would the law say, think any half witted lawyer could tear holes in that one.

Mind you that would only last until they then asked IF he meant he had told the cleaner, but going on that OP it could be one way or the other.

This is my opinion of course which I assume ( there's that word again lol ) I am allowed to have so be it if you don't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure I live in the real world too

Excuse me, Mike, but no more of that or you'll be out for a week. We don't address each other like that on AoS.

My comments weren't made in reference to you, and I didn't insult you personally, as you've just done to me. It seems pretty certain that the cleaner was told, and even if that wasn't the case, the point Macca made above, which I highlighted in his last post, says it all.

There is no excuse for such sheer carelessness, and if it had been my cleaner, they'd have been out on their arse, tout suite!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

we can analyse this over and over till the cows come home,at the end of the day its an accident,im sure it wasn't deliberate and we dont know what relationship nick has with his cleaner. no ones fucking dead or hurt (im aloud to swear cause macca said its ok)
    Sacking the poor woman isnt the answer,she may have a child to support etc, when things are bad i always think out of something negative there comes a positive.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Hard to see any positives here more of a damage limitation exercise but on the assumption she's not very well off then I'd be inclined to give her one chance, I'd at least not expect her to pay it off and just let her go. Of course if she's got a nice house and car and her husband is earning a good whack, and she just does it to keep herself busy then that's another matter..

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Nick.

Oops let me settle some of these assumptions... I was enjoying the sunday sunshine until now!

Yes I meant to say the cleaner was specifically told on more than one occasion not to mess with the hifi gear. the family already know this!

Unfortunately while well-intentioned and a nice person she's not the sharpest tool in the box, and often needs to be told something more than once before it sinks in - there's also a language barrier as she is not British. she has neither agency backing nor insurance nor wage earning husband. Although I do have house insurance which might cover some of the damage.
    From what I can tell she sends most of her wages home to her family in her home country, so docking her wages takes money out of their pockets, and tbh given their circumstances they need it more than I do.

I suppose the cantilever could be saved or bent back but as its fragile aluminium its possible that the structural integrity has been compromised. I wouldn't try it myself. I'll send it off to an expert and see what the report is. Happily its not my only cart, I'm sure it can be restored/upgraded, and also happily it wasn't the DL-S1 that got knackered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast