+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nooo...! My cleaner killed my cartridge :(

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Nick,

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Oops let me settle some of these assumptions... I was enjoying the sunday sunshine until now!

Yes I meant to say the cleaner was specifically told on more than one occasion not to mess with the hifi gear. the family already know this!

Unfortunately while well-intentioned and a nice person she's not the sharpest tool in the box, and often needs to be told something more than once before it sinks in - there's also a language barrier as she is not British. she has neither agency backing nor insurance nor wage earning husband. Although I do have house insurance which might cover some of the damage.
    From what I can tell she sends most of her wages home to her family in her home country, so docking her wages takes money out of their pockets, and tbh given their circumstances they need it more than I do.

I suppose the cantilever could be saved or bent back but as its fragile aluminium its possible that the structural integrity has been compromised. I wouldn't try it myself. I'll send it off to an expert and see what the report is. Happily its not my only cart, I'm sure it can be restored/upgraded, and also happily it wasn't the DL-S1 that got knackered.
    Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for spoiling your Sunday!

Whilst the fact that she's been told on more than one occasion not to go near your hi-fi gear proves she was careless and negligent, the bit in bold puts the matter into a different perspective, and in those circumstances I'd be prepared to offer her a warning, outlining in no uncertain terms that if she does that again, she's gone. She needs to made fully aware that your hi-fi system is strictly off limits.

Anyway, I hope that you can get your cartridge fixed. Like Barry says, NWA is your best bet, as Dom's an expert on anything to do with cartridges. Good luck with it, mate - and like you say at least it wasn't the DL-S1!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nari.

Good on ya thats the spirit, my cleaner broke a 8k koetsu i was not pleased my heart sunk but what to do, I pleaded her not to go near my gear she later on damaged a costly amplifier I will spare the details. I had to get rid of her politely of course.

I now lock my main audio room and only allow my new cleaner to clean there while I am at home. I could not deduct someones wages that would be a bit harsh the I actually found the ex cleaner work with other members of the family who do not have bits of Hifi lying around.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nick.

Cheers guys - well, seems the story may have a happier ending than I first expected. On the recommend of an experienced AoS fellow I sent the SA to Kilian at Holistic Audio in the Netherlands. He inspected it and concluded that it could be saved, the bent original cantilever could be heat treated and returned to full working order and would not need to be replaced. Plus stylus and suspension checked and serviced all for considerably less than the cost of replacing the cantilever let alone replacing the cartridge.
    As for the cleaner - she has been given another chance on the condition that she goes nowhere near the hi-fi equipment, and on the clear understanding that if she causes any more damage to it she will be politely asked to find work elsewhere.

I'm Robert.

Excellent all round Nick.

Kilian is a class act and the cleaner gets a reprieve - all's well that ends well...
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Adam.

That's a Good ending!

All you posh folk with cleaners!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

This post could well have been called 'Oh no, I've killed my cleaner!!'
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    That's a Good ending!

All you posh folk with cleaners!
    Yes, "all's well that ends well". Cleaner - I'm quite capable of damaging cartridges myself without having to employ someone to do it for me"!
    Barry

I'm Mike.

You mean they weren't taken out back and shot?

What is the world coming to

I'm Martin.

Don't know about shooting but it should be legal to waterboard them. At least for half an hour or so.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't know about shooting but it should be legal to waterboard them. At least for half an hour or so.
    Good choice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456