+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your turntable history

I'm Ivo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    The Technics looks rather useful and that Pioneer is a thing of beauty. I wish I'd had the money when Jamie sold his.
    The SL-23a was part of my first vintage passion - Technics system. A nice TT. Now a friend of mine is enjoying it.
    The Pioneer was a dream I was chasing for 3 years all over the world until I found it in my city, in perfect condition It's a real beauty!
    Pioneer:
    PLC-590, RT-909, 707, CT-F1250, 900, 750, 700, T-C3, P-D1, TX-7800,
    U-24, SR-303, SG-9800, SA-7800, SX-750, DT-400, HPM-100
    Nakamichi: DRAGON, BX300e, BX125, BX 1, CD4

I'm Mark.

Default Oh my......that's a lot

Well, I guess I feel quite insignificant among this esteemed line up from our members. Here is my slightly more modest journey.

BSR TT (from a UK record player, forgot the name) - ceramic cartridge

BSR TT (from an Amstrad system)

Marantz (6025)

JVC L-A110

Dual CS505-MKIII

Systemdek IIX

Michell Gyrodec (various upgrades)

Sony TTS-8000 / Sony PS-X7

My first DD was a Sony PS-6750 and must admit to being blown away by it (I had (and still have) the Gyrodec at this point). I was thinking that I had been lied to by some of the Hi-Fi press of the 1980s (about how underwhelming Japanese DDs were compared to a British Belt Drive TTs). My new appreciation for DDs were no longer limited to Dj'ing exploits.

I have come across a number of PS-X7 and will keep one of them. The TTS-8000 will stay with me as long as it, or I am working (!).

I'm Chris.

Hi guys, sorry late again to a thread.

My turntable journey over ahem many many years:-

Philips disc jockey junior donated from my cousin..my hifi addiction is all her fault...bless her
    Garrard SP25 MkIV
    BSR Macdonald MP60..IMHO it sounded better than the SP25
    Thorens TD150
    AR XA
    Thorens TD160B
    Philips GA212..IMHO outstanding. It even worked well with and ADC XLM Mk1!!!
    Technics SL110/SME 3009
    Technics SL120
    LP12/Valhalla/G707 then Ittok LV2 plus Lingo..OK but....
    Sansui SR222 Mk2..pretty good actually
    Michell Gyrodeck SE
    Kuzma Stabi
    Rega P3 2000...great deck, I should have kept it
    Rega P25 ..also really good
    Another LP12/Valhalla G707 which I restored
    LP12 Majik
    Rega RP1/Carbon..fun
    Rega RP3
    LP12/Valhalla/Basik Plus
    and lastly my current steed..Rega Planar 3 2016

Now you may feel I have had more than my fair share of LP12s and you'd be right I'm. Question is whether I have learnt anything?

Well based on the above I doubt it, and some might question my sanity, still this vinyl journey does seem interesting and fun if on some occasions a journey to nowhere. Maybe the journey is more important than arriving at the destination?

all the best

Chris

I'm Brook.

Another one late to the party here, if I can remember them all they include.......
    Bush portable (late 1960's)
    Akai direct drive (late 1970's)
    Then a bit of a gap until.....
    Rega Planar 3
    Linn LP12
    Michell Orbe
    Funk Firm Vector
    Origin Live Aurora Gold mkii
    Funk Firm Saffire
    Thorens TD160 Super
    Inspire Eclipse SE V12
    Lenco GL75
    Townshend Rock Elite mkii
    Garrard 401 (current)

Might be one or two others but can't remember for now.

I'm Shaun.

Garrard GT20
    Thorens TD160 BC
    Logic DM101
    Oak
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck
    Alphason Sonata
    Rock MkII
    Linn Basik
    Project RPM5
    Technics SL1210
    Thorens TD160 Super
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace

I'm Carsten.

My journey is quite easy to remember since I find it very hard to part from my tables - so they are almost all still here in my listening room

1. Denon DP-57L My first turntable bought as a teenager - took me a whole summer working on Danish farms to save up for this. It developed a fault in the electronics - so all I can do now is to admire its looks.

2. Pink Triangle w. Helius Orion mk. I. A love/hate relationship because if the constant fettling of the suspension. Sold this one and I don't miss it.

3. Garrard 401 w. Terminator3Pro. I love the simplicity and drive of this thing, and had a great time restoring it. A prized possession. The tonearm is a gem too.

4. Kenwood KD-990. I stumbled upon a mint example and was quite surprised that it sounded so good. My son is going to enherit this one, when he understands the concept of keeping things "Mint". A much undervalued deck these days.

5. Thorens TD-125L w. Jelco 750L. I really don't know why I bought this one - maybe because it's rare. It is not accurate as a DD, but it's charming in a fantastic way. I consider it a the turntable I would bring if I ever were to be stuck on a desert island - it's analogue at its best.

6. The Voyd. An early example I have been fettling with. It's ability to let the tones "hang in the air" is unique. The fettling of the suspension however is not my thing - I don't have the patience. I am trying to convince myself to let this go.

7. Sony TTS-8000 w. Helius Omega Ruby. Bought this year after reading about it on this forum. The description as "Best of DD & Beltdriven" is accurate imo. I consider myself very lucky to be the owner of such a product. It is my endgame - and currently a TB-2000 plinth is on its way from Japan in order for me to use two tonearms on this beauty.
    Last edited by Nonnegativ; 05-04-2019 at 22:24.
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm Pavel.

My turntable history:

- a couple of old Soviet turntables nobody here is familiar with
    - Sansui SR212
    - Denon DP-23F (yuck)
    - Project Debut Esprit Carbon SB (its name was longer than the list of its merits)
    - Technics SL-Q33 (very nice for the price I paid for it and fully automatic, wish I still had it)
    - Lenco L75 (bog standard, changed only V-blocks; inoffensive but somewhat unfocused sound)
    - Technics SL-1200 mk2 (didn't like it at all, it sounded slightly dull and slightly aggressive at the same time)
    - Goldring Lenco GL75, fully fettled, upgraded tonearm and bearing etc. (lovely)
    - Technics SL-110 (very sweet sounding thing and a design classic, still own it)
    - Dual 1019 (still own it but it's on its way out)

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Here's my updated list.
    Philips belt drive 1982

Dual 505mk2/Ortofon OM30.

Logic Tempo/Datum /P77.

Linn LP12 /Basik plus/P77
    Ittok/K9
    Ekos/Troika
    Lingo
    Cirkus

Voyd . 5 reference /SME 310 /music maker

Roksan Radius /Goldring G1009.

Technics SL1210MK2 /SME 309 /AT33EV with mods.

Technics SL-QL1 my other system deck.

Voyd split phase SME 309 /AT33EV.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Trio KD1033B bought in 1979
    LP12 bought in 1987, still have it.

That's it.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

With a little poetic licence (and hazy memory...)

from around 1982-85 - use of my Dad's Ferguson music centre - started my obsession with music
    c. 1985 - a Sharp "midi" system with a linear tracking tonearm that - get this - played both sides of the LP! I thought it was the dogs, but actually it sounded sh!t...
    (around 1987 I inherited a crappy old teak turntable. Wasn't really sure what it was some old Garrard thing. looked kind of cool though. Put it in the loft.)
    1990 - Dual CS-505-2 - loved this deck, but I ended up smashing it to pieces. Long story!
    1992 - 1999 - vinyl, schminyl... Shiny silvery CDs please! (Luckily I didn't sell the record collection!)
    2000 - vinyl revival - Pro-Ject RPM4 (Still have it) - not a bad deck, and my mainstay for almost a decade
    2009 - joined this forum, decided to resurrect that old Garrard thingy. Apparently a 401 is quite a good deck. SME tonearm not too shabby either. Learned all about setup, and how to rebuild/service a 401. Started playing with cartridges and headshells. Acquired a Technics SL-150 from DSJR - used this in the main system for a while. Picked up a vintage Rega Planar 3, with R200 arm - even the bias belt works. Still have it.
    Past few years - not much vinyl playing - too risky with inquisitive ankle biters!
    Now... time to sort out a decent plinth. After over 30 years and for sentimental reasons if nothing else the 401 is here to stay, and needs to be used!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast