+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HDD failure!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Oli, sorry to hear of your HDD failure. Here is some advice and observations for what it’s worth. I have worked in IT for over 30 years and HDD especially spinning ones have a life, in my experience if used daily you’ll be lucky to get 5 years. There are several issues that can cause failure, bearing wears out causing mistracking, bearing/mechanism of read/write arm fails, electronics controlling the thing fail. The drive map is at one part of the drive this is accessed all the time causing wear to the drive.

Generally it’s the read/write head, signs of this getting passed its sell by date are longer times read and writing data, if you run tests to check the drive you will see more block errors. If this is happening it’s time to replace.

So plan to replace every 4-5 years if spinning disk drives. If it is a solid state drive(chips) these fail, they are a mass of miniaturised on/off switches put simply and after a while they will fail through use. Usually failure is catastrophic and can stop any data recovery.

If data is really important then buy a NAS drive with multiple hard drives and set up with RAID so one is a mirror of the main drive, if and when one fails you just pull the failure out and plug in the new one and RAID will then re-copy from the good drive. I would still have another external backup drive that an incremental backup is run to at least once a week.

Plug your failed drive into computer and put it to your ear, if you can hear it repeatedly clicking then the read/write mechanism has failed. If this is the case to recover data the physical drive needs to be taken out and put in another with a good read/write head. Trying to access the data with a failed read/write head may damage the disk(s).

I hope you sort it out ok

All the Best

Adrian
    Ok Adrian.

Thanks

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    youtube vid on how to fix maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5cil6KezI
    I'll have a watch. Thanks Grant.

I'm Grant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg

another one which is very similar. Should be manageable if this is the cause
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

That’s bad luck Oli, I would never recommend taking the lid of a hard drive unless it is the very very last thing to try. They are sealed for a reason and really should only be opened in a clean air environment but if you are stuck then you can try it but the drive is effectively junk afterwards as you cannot guarantee what particles may have got in there...don’t rely on that drive for storing any precious data!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Simon.

I mostly use iCloud back up; I really can't see that failing any time soon! Obviously, not critical or personal data, that I keep backed up locally on a hard drive. First is hard drive on MBP, other is SSD device stored in my fire/flood resistant safe. Further copy held elsewhere. But iCloud is main storage/back up; all just works seamlessly and allows access across all my devices. I do love how Apple products all just get on with the job, compared to the endless faffing about I had with MS products.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234