+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what I'm looking at?

I'm Steve.

Default Can someone tell me what I'm looking at?

Earlier this week one of the speakers in my second system (Celestion 5's) went quiet. Had a look behind panel on the rear, and without wanting to baffle anyone with technical jargon, a wire connected to a cylindrical shaped object that looked like wound copper wire wrapped in masking tape, had separated. Time to try out a soldering iron my girls bought me two Christmases ago. Watched a You Tube 'how to' video on how to "soder" (he was American), I gave it a go...and it worked!

I'm so pleased with myself, and it got me thinking about the other bits behind that panel. Trouble is, I don't know what I'm looking at. Apart from aforementioned item (about the size of a thumb), there are two cylindrical shaped object, similar in size to an AA battery but a bit shorter, which are bright blue and have numbers printed on them, also a white thingy similar in size to a lego brick.

Would changing any of these things bring about an improvement in 30 year old speakers, or should I leave well alone?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

The thing you fixed sounds like an inductor, the 'AA batteries' are capacitors. The lego brick probably a resistor. You might get a benefit from replacing the capacitors with new ones.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Mainly capacitors, if theres a disc shaped one that'll be a polyswitch.

You should see if theres capacitor upgrade kit available for your exact model and then just switch out the same value caps one at a time. I did this with my klipsch speakers and the improvement took me by surprise.

You could also solder in some better quality internal wires too if you get brave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Martin.

A picture paints a thousand words......

Im no expert either but crossovers usually have capacitors, inductors and resistors. The inductors have windings, the caps are the batteries, the lego might be a resistor. The ratings printed on them will have units which are the give away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    A picture paints a thousand words......

Im no expert either but crossovers usually have capacitors, inductors and resistors. The inductors have windings, the caps are the batteries, the lego might be a resistor. The ratings printed on them will have units which are the give away.

Yeah sorry about that Martin, I don't know how to post pictures. Thanks guys, I'm going to see what I can find out about the Celestion's capacitors - these little speakers, nice though they are, owe me nothing so I'm not afraid to have a play

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I cant do pictures yet either

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    I cant do pictures yet either

If you want to practise uploading images, try tinypic: http://tinypic.com/

I wrote a guidance note ages ago:

Which I just uploaded using tinypic!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Yes, I tried it months ago, and just ended up with a laptop-shaped hole in the living room window...

I think the problem with me started at the camera stage - my iphone's pictures ended up huge and rotated through 90 degrees, and I couldn't do anything about it. Maybe I should buy a super-cheap digital camera.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Geoff.

You could try free image editing software for photos on your computer. Faststone Image Viewer is easy enough to use. You can resize, crop, reorientate and adjust quality etc.

Just download it and have a play with what it can do: https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yes, I tried it months ago, and just ended up with a laptop-shaped hole in the living room window...

I think the problem with me started at the camera stage - my iphone's pictures ended up huge and rotated through 90 degrees, and I couldn't do anything about it. Maybe I should buy a super-cheap digital camera.
    Steve, the best thing to do when taking pictures for forum use is to set the camera on the lowest picture size, usually 0.3 Mb.
    This gives images which are a perfect size for forum use and takes shorter times to upload and download as they are small files.

It's what i do all the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast