+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sparks in my preamp

I'm Peter.

Default Sparks in my preamp

Hi,

Hardcore DIY is no quite my game due to a limited knowledge of electronics. I'm more a colour by numbers DIY guy i.e solder this, replace that.
    I wonder if someone could advise me on trying to fix a problem I have.

I connected up a pre-amp I bought several years ago that has been sitting in its box for a while (worked fine when I packed it away). It's a Chinese Classic No.9 http://www.yushang-audio.com/english...ushang-p90.htm
    As I switched it on, it made a crackling noise and fortunately did not blow my amp or speakers.

I removed the cover and powered it up again (not connected to the my system) and noticed some sparks coming from the end of one of the resistors.

Would this more than likely just be a bad solder joint between the resistor and the board? Would I need to replace the resistor?
    Or should I seek professional assistance?

Removing the board looks like a bit of work so thought I would ask in advance before I got started.

Peter

I'm Grant.

much depends but yes it sounds like a dry joint. if the track isnt to bad then try and solder it. i'd leave it off for a day before going to it in case any caps are charged.
    but without being there its hard to be definite
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

A dodgy Chinese valve pre-amp - I would not go anywhere near it unless you know exactly what you are doing. You're a long time dead. Get an expert to look at it is my advice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A dodgy Chinese valve pre-amp - I would not go anywhere near it unless you know exactly what you are doing. You're a long time dead. Get an expert to look at it is my advice.
    Hi Martin
    Wise advice indeed !!!

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Grant.

sure, if your not confident or know what your doing then best leave it to someone who does. the origin of it is unlikely to be of much consequence tho.. lekky is lekky death wise
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

I had sparks coming out of my speakers!
    Beat the clock and the number 1 song in heaven lol
    Last edited by karma67; 08-04-2019 at 15:35.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Edward.

If you want someone to look at it I'd recommend Firebottle of this parish.

Looks like a lovely preamp by the way.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm jamie.

i can also recommend this guy, john.caswell@johncaswell.co.uk not too far from london.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Peter.

Update: I'm Alive! and so is the amp
    I appreciate the input and the safety concern - all good advice. After a week of googling how to safley work on a tube amp, a little solder seems to have done the trick.

Now to do some listening.
    Thanks

Peter
    Peter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Martin.

The important thing is you survived.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread