+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest check: EAR 912 multi-function preamp with the best inbuilt phono out there

montesquieu Guest

Default Interest check: EAR 912 multi-function preamp with the best inbuilt phono out there

I'm being offered an interesting deal on something I've long desired but always considered unaffordable. So putting out an interest check for my EAR 912 'Professional Tube Control Center'. If you are reading this then you know what it is:

* Two tonearm inputs, both switchable between MM or MC via SUT
    * Four position Tim de Paravicini step-up transformer labelled 3, 6, 12 and 40 ohm
    * All tube LCR phono stage, absolute top quality
    * Three position interstage transformer - 0db, -6db and -12db settings for gain matching between phono and linestage
    * All tube output stage
    * Two balanced, four unbalanced line inputs; two balanced, two unbalanced preamp outputs, plus tape in/ line level tape out, mute switch and mono button.

I think I counted 8 transformers/inductors inside, handmade at EAR - for all its relatively compact size, it's heavy as a proper valve power amp.

I've owned for quite a while now, it was serviced at EAR last month:

* bulbs changed in the meters to long life LEDs after one of the old-style fillament ones blew
    * the meters recalibrated, the valve bases tightened
    * a couple of tubes replaced
    * in a previous service, I had the internal remote control mechanism replaced and purchased the new fancy metal remote

It actually came back initially from EAR with an oscillation problem (something disturbed in sorting the valve bases) that was rapidly fixed by EAR at no charge.

It comes in the proper EAR box and packing with two remotes (the original 'flat egg' plastic one and the new metal one above that's £80 to buy on its own), and three full sets of five spare tubes - a set of TdP branded ones (Phillips I think), a set of Teslas, and a set of Telefunkens. (15 spare tubes in total). The Telefunkens routinely sell for £150 a pair.

It's an interest check at this stage and would depend on me firming up the other thing (and making sure I could also fund the gap) before I could part with it.

I'd need £5250 for it which is about the going rate for past sales of these if you exclude the obvious scam listings (mainly Russian or Italian). List is £10k these days and they very rarely come up.

Many reviews online of this, uniformly glowing. I much would prefer collection so you can hear it in action, but the EAR packing is pretty robust and therefore I am happy to ship (fully insured) in the UK at the buyer's cost.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue31/ear912.htm
    https://www.stereophile.com/tubeprea...ear/index.html
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/EAR-912.htm

Last edited by montesquieu; 29-03-2019 at 13:42.

I'm James.

Cor!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

lordmortlock Guest

Yeah, that’s proper, isn’t it? Very very nice Tom.

montesquieu Guest

More pics

I'm Alf.

That's looks really good Tom
    Techy SP10 mk 2 playing my Vinyl, Aries G1/Chord TT2/Mscaler doing digital, Ear Pre amp and Sowter powered KT88 SE power amp amplifying and big JBL's presenting a room full of fun

I'm Justin.

Good price for a preamp with a 'Magic' button.

I had a chat with Tim and he told me his TT works by magic.

Really, though that is a true story. Almost Van Den Hul like. Mind you, VdH really is bats. Tim is fairly same, I reckon.

Well, maybe

Surely, though, with the recent service that has to be a good punt for someone. It's tipperty top at the mo.

I'm Graham.

That looks gorgeous tom ��

I'm Russell.

If it were here in the US I’d jump right on it! That is a beautiful piece, most impressive. Looks like laboratory equipment.

Russell

I'm Paul.

Any chance we could have one last photo of it from behind with it sitting on the bed and with a bit of soft lighting?

If you could partly cover it with a sheet so it leaves a bit to the imagination that would be nice too.
    ~Paul~

I'm Jerry.

Wow...that looks fab. GLWS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards
    Jerry

SYSTEM under construction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast