+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak Stereo 30 plus... advice please

I'm brian.

Default Leak Stereo 30 plus... advice please

I need to test some tonearms and cartridges before I try to sell them.

Ive bought a cheap technics T/t which will accept the arms, so I now need either a cheap phono stage or an integrated with built in phono.

Before I do that, I’ve dug out an amp I’ve had for many years. A Leak stereo 30 plus.

It came with a Rega 3 that I bought, and I heard it working then. But not since.

However, when I go to set it up, it has some funny looking speaker connections. I need help.

For each side, there is one connection with a larger hole than the other. The larger one has a kind of sideways E on it. This seems to accept a standard speaker lead.

But the other hole is too small for a normal plug

So... 2 questions.

1) which hole does the red connector go to
    2) If I just forget about terminated leads, can I just jam bare wires in to these holes?

Thanks

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Brian,
    If you have established that these connectors are the speaker connectors, then as long as you put the speaker wires in both channels the same way around; ie; red to small hole, black to large hole etc, then the speakers should be in phase.
    Hope this helps.
    Anthony,TD...
    Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    I need to test some tonearms and cartridges before I try to sell them.

Ive bought a cheap technics T/t which will accept the arms, so I now need either a cheap phono stage or an integrated with built in phono.

Before I do that, I’ve dug out an amp I’ve had for many years. A Leak stereo 30 plus.

It came with a Rega 3 that I bought, and I heard it working then. But not since.

However, when I go to set it up, it has some funny looking speaker connections. I need help.

For each side, there is one connection with a larger hole than the other. The larger one has a kind of sideways E on it. This seems to accept a standard speaker lead.

But the other hole is too small for a normal plug

So... 2 questions.

1) which hole does the red connector go to
    2) If I just forget about terminated leads, can I just jam bare wires in to these holes?

Thanks
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The smaller hole (3mm dia.) is what would normally be coloured RED, the large hole (4mm dia) is the BLACK. But as Anthony has said, it doesn't matter which way you connect the speaker cables as long as you are consistent.
    Barry

I'm brian.

Anthony and Barry. Thanks for your help.

We have lift off.

Not via vinyl. That’s for another day, once I get around to setting up an arm

But via Cd , the speakers are doing their thing. Sounds good. I should have tried this amp 8 years ago!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Anthony and Barry. Thanks for your help.

We have lift off.

Not via vinyl. That’s for another day, once I get around to setting up an arm

But via Cd , the speakers are doing their thing. Sounds good. I should have tried this amp 8 years ago!!!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Alex.

It might be worth feeding the CD into the tape input of the 30 Plus, this avoids the preamp and tone controls, and gives a better sound than the other inputs. The volume control still works.
    Spendorman

I'm Dan.

Just bought an original 30 with a metal case warming up and working which is a bonus £20 - lucky i had the plugs for the speakers..

Happy Listening its a rather nice sounding unit regardless of what others say.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Just bought an original 30 with a metal case warming up and working which is a bonus £20 - lucky i had the plugs for the speakers..

Happy Listening its a rather nice sounding unit regardless of what others say.
    That would be me. I've said rude things about them in the past.

If you like vintage Brit amps, have you ever tried any of the early seventies P series amps from Cambridge Audio? They're worth a look.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That would be me. I've said rude things about them in the past.

If you like vintage Brit amps, have you ever tried any of the early seventies P series amps from Cambridge Audio? They're worth a look.
    Had a P40 that was really nice but i sold it - Yes cant let stuff go i got an Armstrong 521 and another Stereo 30 with metal case as a job lot the price was fair including the rogers it was £50 for the four units Happy Days more too come local collector digging through the excess 30 year collection and a lot of it.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Alex.

A few of my Leaks

Leaks by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast