+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Improving Your System

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's no real solution to that one except to stop when you're happy.

That's the hardest thing to do when you are addicted to this hobby.
    I got a used vintage cartridge last week, (it came with a tonearm I'd bought) and I was astounded how good it sounded when I first tried it. I have since spent the last few days applying my years of experience and knowledge to getting the best out of it, by fiddling with alignment, headshell, leads, VTA, VTF etc. The result is it now sounds distinctly average. If only I could learn to leave things alone when I am happy.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveG View Post
    I got a used vintage cartridge last week, (it came with a tonearm I'd bought) and I was astounded how good it sounded when I first tried it. I have since spent the last few days applying my years of experience and knowledge to getting the best out of it, by fiddling with alignment, headshell, leads, VTA, VTF etc. The result is it now sounds distinctly average. If only I could learn to leave things alone when I am happy.
    LOL thus demonstrating my proposition in the o/p 'Given infinite upgrading every system will one day reach the point were it is unlistenable.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Default Guide to Improving Your System

Agree that taste rules supreme, but there is a base level of “good” that most would appreciate.

Also agree that the money should be going into components, and not wires and tweaks. A £1000 pair of cables is never going to make as much of a difference as investing that money elsewhere in main components.

Floor types matter. If the room has suspended wooden flooring then decoupling speakers and components is a good idea, with clear benefits (especially to the neighbours). Concrete not as important.

Synergy is key, what will work great in one system might not in another.

Try a (well implemented) true multibit DAC and see if you hear or like a difference. Digital *can* sound analogue.

Back off a bit and don’t chase the last ounce, because really we want to:

Enjoy the music.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

I do think that early in our lives as we develop, there are 'perfect moments' of revelation and ecstasy, and that these imprint us, we seeking to replicate that.
    I went to many Heathrow Hifi shows in the 90s. There were two rooms that left a permanent impression on me. One was a massive room with a vinyl system using Kef floorstanders. They were the ones with the large hole in the front and the two opposing bass units coupled with a rod down the middle (someone help me out with the model No!) They were playing Walk Between the Raindrops from the Donald Fagen Nightfly album. The speakers were sat in the middle of this vast room and Fagen and Co were right there, the music coming from anywhere but the speakers.

The second was a fairly small room with some PA lookalike speakers from ATC, hanging from the ceiling (they may have been active). Visceral slam and.... bass...Bass! as hard as a.....well very hard thing. I have had a system that used some Jamo Professional's with 15" bass units that I really liked....I got rid of the Jamo's as I kept thinking.....well...these aren't really Hifi. Dickhead
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveG View Post
    Are you not able to return to the status quo? That is arrange everything as it was when you first tried the cartridge. If it is the cartridge I think it is I would follow the manufacturere's recommendation for VTF, have the arm tube exactly parallel to the record, and don't faff about with heashell leads. When you have done that, then you can experiment with making only the very smallest of changes to VTA.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I went to many Heathrow Hifi shows in the 90s. There were two rooms that left a permanent impression on me. One was a massive room with a vinyl system using Kef floorstanders. They were the ones with the large hole in the front and the two opposing bass units coupled with a rod down the middle (someone help me out with the model No!) They were playing Walk Between the Raindrops from the Donald Fagen Nightfly album. The speakers were sat in the middle of this vast room and Fagen and Co were right there, the music coming from anywhere but the speakers.

The second was a fairly small room with some PA lookalike speakers from ATC, hanging from the ceiling (they may have been active). Visceral slam and.... bass...Bass! as hard as a.....well very hard thing. I have had a system that used some Jamo Professional's with 15" bass units that I really liked....I got rid of the Jamo's as I kept thinking.....well...these aren't really Hifi. Dickhead
    The speakers sound like theu may have been the 104/2 Reference.

I was thinking the other day about the really high end systems where people have spent half a million quid or more. I wondered if the actual performance of these systems is mainly from the engineering of the equipment or if mostly because if you are that wealthy you are likely to have a huge house with a huge room. At that price point speakers tend to be huge and easily fill the space with music while still being away from any walls. The listening position will likely be away from any walls too. Also the volume levels are likely to be higher too.
    ~Paul~

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are you not able to return to the status quo? That is arrange everything as it was when you first tried the cartridge. If it is the cartridge I think it is I would follow the manufacturere's recommendation for VTF, have the arm tube exactly parallel to the record, and don't faff about with heashell leads. When you have done that, then you can experiment with making only the very smallest of changes to VTA.
    Yes it is the Ikeda and you are absolutely right. I realised I had to stop fiddling and take a break or frustration and impatience was going to lead to an accident. I have since discovered the headshell is defective and not parallel to the arm tube, which was not helping things. Now awaiting arrival of new headshell.

I'm Barrington.

I'd think I would add decide wiether your a music or sound person. You will be able to choose which options you can live with much easier. In the end their is always something you have to comprimise.

I'm Shaun.

Really interesting you mention Thin Lizzy and active in the same sentence. Back around 1982 I heard a Crimson Electric active system into Mission speakers with the music of the day and at that point it was the most dynamic thing I had ever heard. Later I heard a Linn active system and it was breath taking. Later still I heard a Naim active system and it was truly bloody awful.

How I ever ended up with valve amps and mini monitors I'll never understand.

I still toy with the idea of active studio monitors.

Meat and poison it is then lol

I'm Shaun.

Paul, I used to use Samson Servo 600 power amps for the gutsy slam and punch but always ended up thinking it's not hi-fi. I now have a system that has the most incredible midrange and delicacy but guess what..? No slam, no real dynamism and no real spine tingling moments. But it is hi-fi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast